Event Central works with event organizers to ensure special events are successful and contribute positively to the community. The special event process is governed by the Special Events on Public and Private Property By-law No. 2013-232 and the City Right-of-Way By-law No. 2001-260.
Conditional approval of the event location must be obtained from the property owner prior to applying for a special event.
- Assists in the coordination of all city services involved with special events
- Provides feedback on emergency preparedness and site and/or route plans in advance to mitigate the event's possible impact
When to apply
If your event has an expected attendance of at least 500 persons at any one time or is taking place on a city street/sidewalk the Application for Special Events must be completed.
- 30 Days
- 60 Days
- 90 Days
- Alcohol sale and/or service
- Use and/or closure of a roadway/highway
- Occurs on Victoria Day, Canada Day, Remembrance Day, New Year's Eve, or in alignment with an event of known significance
Should a special event not include any of the factors listed in paragraphs (1) to (3), the application deadline shall be 30 days
Once the application form is complete please submit the application and any supporting documents to Event Central. If the event will have over 500 attendees a draft Emergency Plan and Site and/or Route Plan are required.
If you are interested in planning an event but still have questions please contact us
City of Ottawa
101 Centrepointe Dr
613-580-2424 ext. 14613