The Bell Sensplex supports all kinds of regular and tournament ice sports such as hockey, figure skating, ringette, skating lessons, short-track speed skating, sledge hockey and broomball, as well as many sports that can be played on the ice pads without ice, such as floorball (ball hockey), roller hockey and arena flag football. The indoor sports field also supports a wide range of regular and tournament field sports including soccer, football, rugby, cricket, lacrosse, Ultimate and more. The facility hosts school field trips and offers summer and training camps, and the Peak Centre allows both professional and amateur athletes to receive specialized programs designed to maximize their athletic performance. Facilities are also available for other types of events such as meetings, birthday parties, etc.
This incredible facility was designed by Edmundson Matthews Architects, an Ottawa-based architectural and interior design firm, in association with the Morley Hoppner Group and the Ottawa Senators. The Bell Sensplex facility is versatile, dynamic, and an exciting environment for the community.
On the main level:
- Three NHL-sized ice surfaces each with seating for 250
- One international-sized ice surface (Olympic Rink, 100 x 200 ft) includes seating for 750
- One indoor soccer/sports field measuring 100 x 200 ft complete with an artificial playing surface and two dressing rooms
- The Warm Up, serving Starbuck’s coffee, tea, hot chocolate and pastry
- The Breakaway Café, serving hot and cold food, beverages and healthy snacks
- GEAR UP! pro shop offers a great selection of hockey sticks, shafts, blades and a large selection of accessories
- Ottawa Senators Wall of Fame - COMING SOON
- Tournament Command Centre
- 17 change rooms
- Two officials' change rooms
- Two unisex change rooms
- Ottawa Senators & Kanata Blazers Locker Room in the Scotiabank Arena
- First aid room
On the second level:
- 80-seat Roger Neilson Coach’s Centre
- Peak Centre, offering custom-designed programs to maximize athlete performance, catering to both professional and amateur athletes
- Powerplay Zone for individual skill development, sponsored by Morley Hoppner
- Overtime - offers all of the items found at the Breakaway Café plus hot menu items like wings, nachos and much more
- Stanley's Restaurant and Bar, a 220 seat full-service food and beverage emporium overlooking the Scotiabank and International Arenas
- ATM machine
- Extensive viewing areas
Other features of the Bell Sensplex include:
- A wireless hot spot zone covers the entire facility, so that wireless devices such as palm pilots, Blackberries and laptop computers can work online while people are there.
- A single ice plant serves all four ice surfaces. Heat recovered from this plant is used to heat the Field House, public areas and change rooms. The systems are designed for a reduction in energy use by at least 25% when compared to the requirements of the Model National Energy Code for Buildings (MNECB) in compliance with the Commercial Building Incentive Program (CBIP).
- Special exhaust fans and outside air intakes
- Ice melt pits to melt snow and reuse water from the Zambonis instead of melting outdoors
- Dehumidification from a single system of desiccant air-drying, gas-fired heat regeneration, complete with blowers and filters
- Infrared gas-fired heaters over bleacher seating
- Hot water for the ice resurfacer is provided at a recovery rate of 2,660 litres/hour and will operate in conjunction with two 380-litre storage tanks. The heater is capable of generating 82º C (180º F) hot water and serves the locker rooms with 43º C (110º F) hot water generated.
- There are two control systems for the building; one for the ice plant and one for the remainder of the building. The systems enable pre-set computer-controlled commands for night set-back of temperatures, start-stop timer, morning warm-up, and maintenance.
- Lighting is also connected to the computer system to allow automatic de-energizing on a time of day schedule.
- The building is completely protected by an automatic sprinkler system. The commercial part of the building, change rooms and soccer/sports field are protected by a single zone wet system; the arenas are protected by a multi-zone dry system.
- The building includes an addressable single stage fire alarm system.