Skip to main content

Community supports, healthcare & recreation

Caregiver Guide

Ottawa Public Health (OPH) adapted the Caregiver Compass with permission from Saint Elizabeth to create the Ottawa Public Health Caregiver Guide. Saint Elizabeth is an agency that has been caring for individuals and families in their homes for over a century.

Learn More

Home Support Services

Home Support Services provide help with light housekeeping to eligible low-income residents who have a medical need and who have little or no supports in the community. Light housekeeping may include: floors, bathrooms, laundry, kitchen and light dusting.

How do I qualify for Home Support Services?

  • Your income must be below the “low income cut-off” or you are in receipt of social assistance
  • You have a documented medical reason that prevents you from completing homemaking tasks on your own
  • You have little or no support to help you with housekeeping tasks. For example, you live alone and have no family close by

Apply for Home Support Services

Call 3-1-1 between 8:45 am and 4 pm

  • Select 1 for service in English or 2 for service in French
  • Select 4 for Social Services

Eligibility will be assessed during a telephone interview followed with a home visit by a case worker.  

For more information, e-mail

Get help clearing snow

Need help clearing your driveway and/or walkway during the winter?

The Snow Go Program can help you! This program is divided into two parts to match your individual needs to the appropriate service.  The two programs are as follows: 

  • The Snow Go Program provides a matching service for seniors and people with disabilities looking to hire an individual or contractor to clear snow from private driveways and walkways.  Residents who participate in this program are responsible for paying the individual or contractor removing the snow.
  • The Snow Go Assist Program provides financial assistance to eligible low-income seniors or persons with disabilities looking to hire an individual or contractor to clear snow from private driveways and walkways.  Approved participants may be reimbursed for 50 % of the cost of snow clearing per event, up to a seasonal maximum of $250.  Rural applicants who have excessively high cost of snow removal, as defined by staff, are eligible up to 50% of the cost of snow clearing for their private driveways and walkways per event, up to a maximum of $450 per Term.

    Check the snow go map [ PDF - 1 MB ] to find the agency that services your neighbourhood.






Centre de services Guigues Entire city area for Francophone residents   City-wide (613) 241-1266

Mélanie Canuel

The Glebe Centre  Serving the Glebe, Old Ottawa East, Old Ottawa South, Carleton Heights, Heron Park, Riverside Park and West Hunt Club

K1G (part), 
K1H (part), K1S, K1V (part), 
K2C (part)

(613) 230-5730

Kristen O'Brien

The Olde Forge Community Resource Centre Serving between the Ottawa River and Baseline Road, Woodroffe Avenue north of the Queensway and Clyde Avenue south of the Queensway K2B, K2C (part) (613) 829-9777

Elizabeth Parcher

Ottawa West Community Support Serving between the Ottawa River and Baseline Road, east of Woodroffe Avenue  and west of Preston Street  K1Y, K1Z, K2A, K2C (part) (613) 728-6016 ext. 275

Mark Jenkins

South-East Ottawa Community Health Centre Serving between Industrial Avenue and Hunt Club Road between St. Laurent Blvd and Bank Street K1B (part), 

K1G (part), 
K1H (part), 
K1V (part)

(613) 737-5115 ext. 2321

Stephanie Dickinson

 The Good Companions  Serving between the Queensway and the Ottawa River, between Blair Rd. and Preston Street, includes the Avenues K1G (part), K1K, K1L, K1M, K1N, K1P, K1R, K2P  (613) 236-0428 Brenda Packer

Eastern Ottawa Resource Centre  Serving Eastern Ottawa including Cumberland and Gloucester   K1B (part), K1C, K1E, K1J, K1T, K1W, K2G, K4A, K4B, K4C, K4R, K0A (part)  (613) 741-6025 ext. 326   Martin Bazinet

Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre  Serving west of Fisher Avenue, south of Baseline Road including Bells Corners, Barrhaven, Kanata, Carp, West Carleton, Goulbourn and Richmond.   K2E, K2G, K2H, K2J, K2K, K2L, K2M, K2R, K2S, K2T, K2V, K2W, KOA (part)  (613) 591-3686 ext. 313  Dee Machum
 Rural Ottawa South Support Services (ROSSS) Serving Osgoode & Rideau-Goulbourn Wards. Includes Manotick and North Gower.    K1X, K4M, K4P, K0A (part) (613) 692-4697
ext. 228
Della Hart

Snow Go Assist Program

The Snow Go Assist Program is a program that provides financial assistance to eligible low-income seniors and people with disabilities to pay for a portion of their snow removal costs.

Funding levels

Approved participants may be reimbursed up to 50 per cent of the cost of snow clearing per event, up to a seasonal maximum of $250. Rural applicants who have excessively high cost of snow removal, as defined by staff, are eligible up to 50% of the cost of snow and ice clearing for their private driveways and walkways per event, up to a maximum of $450 per term. . The program is on a first come first served basis.  Agencies have the ability to limit funds allocated to participants if demand is high.   

Eligibility criteria

To be eligible to receive Snow Go Assist Program funding, participants must provide proof that they meet all of the program objectives: Applicants must meet both of the following criteria:

  1. Either senior or a person with a disability.  A senior  is considered any person over the age of 60 years.  For persons with a disability, participants must be physically unable to clear snow from their private driveway and/or walkway due to their own disability
  2. Must demonstrate they qualify as low income.  Low income is defined as an annual income of below $31,500 for a single individual and below $39,200 for a household (two or more persons).

    Participants must provide proof of active enrolment in one or more of the following programs to prove that they meet the program objectives:
  1. GIS (Guaranteed Income Supplement)
  2. ODSP (Ontario Disability Support Program)  
  3. Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefit  
  4. Ontario Works plus proof of disability and/or senior (60 year or older)  
  5. Essential Health and Social Supports plus proof of disability and/or senior (60 year or older)  
  6. Home Help plus proof of disability and/or senior (60 year or older)  
  7. Low income senior or person with a disability (proof may be required)  
  8. Special Circumstances may be considered. Detailed proof must be provided.

For more information, please discuss with your local community support agency.

All applicants must sign a disclaimer that states that there is no person(s) physically able to perform snow removal work sharing the residence with the applicant.

Application process

To apply for Snow Go Assist funding, contact your local community support agency listed above.

 Snow Angel Program

Do you know a Snow Angel who deserves recognition?

A Snow Angel is a neighbour or friend that has volunteered to help you, or someone you know who is elderly or has a disability, to improve their accessibility during the winter by clearing snow or ice from their driveway, steps or walkway. 

If you know of a resident of Ottawa who is a Snow Angel, the City of Ottawa wants to thank them!

Snow Angels will be recognized with a certificate signed by the Mayor and a custom keychain with a snowflake symbol and Ottawa logo.


To nominate a resident for recognition as a Snow Angel, please give the City the name and address of the candidate, as well as relevant details (who they are helping and how) by one of the following methods:

  • Email:
  • Mail:  Attention: Snow Angel Program, City of Ottawa,100 Constellation Drive, 5th floor, K2G 6J8
  • Fax:  613-580-9605 Attention: Snow Angel Program

Personal information is collected through the nomination process under the authority of sections 8 and 10 of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25. Personal information including contact information will only be used for the administration of the Snow Angel Program, including notifying volunteers of their recognition as a Snow Angel  and inviting the nominee to a recognition event. If you have any questions about the collection and use of personal information, please contact the Snow Angel Program using the contact information above or telephone the Section Manager, Stakeholder Relations at 613-580-2424 x27945.

Special needs

Special Needs services and support requests

All recreation programs, services and public events offered within the City's Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services department are open to participants with disabilities, in respect of terms and conditions in department policy.

Note: Should you or a family member wish to discuss individual accommodation please allow 2 weeks’ notice for processing of the individual request. If you have registered online or by telephone you are still required to provide the 2 weeks’ notice. 

Adapted and Integrated Recreation Programs For Persons with Disabilities

Adapted and integrated recreation programs are offered throughout various community centres giving children, youth and adults with special needs, the opportunity to participate in community recreation.  

An intake meeting is advised to discuss support needs, program activity and program environment prior to participation.

For additional information on special needs and recreation participation, to schedule a meeting with Special Needs Staff or assistance with scheduled payments please contact the Special Needs Program Admin Clerk at 613-580-2424 ext 29283.

East District 613-447-3441

Central District 613-222-6594

South District 613-447-3426

West District 613-292-1798

Therapeutic City Wide Programs 613-798-3394

Please note: You will be required to complete a participant enrolment form prior to the meeting.  To access this form please see links at bottom of page.

Integrated Recreation Programs for Persons with Disabilities

We are committed to including individuals with disabilities in Parks, Recreation and Cultural programs. In order to best meet your needs and promote meaningful recreational participation please contact the Special Needs Coordinator in your area so that we can discuss individual needs, provide leisure counseling and program referral.

Shared Care Integration offers a higher level of support to enable children with a special need to participate in a recreational activity or program.

Adapted Programs

Specialized recreational programs and activities are offered at identified centres and for various populations and ages throughout the City of Ottawa. Please refer to the Special Needs Guide.

Therapeutic Recreation Programs

The Special Needs Unit offers six Therapeutic Recreation Day Programs for adults with a developmental disability in partnership with Service Coordination and Developmental Services Ontario.

Please Note: Referral to these programs is managed by Developmental Services Ontario. 

SCEL contact: 613-863-4009

SCEL Central contact: 613-295-2816

Variety East and Rendez-vous (francophone) contact: 613-325-6704

SCEL West and Variety West contact 613-798-3291

Acquired Brain Injury & Post-Stroke Day Program is offered through The City of Ottawa in partnership with the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care.

For information on this program please contact the Coordinator, Special Needs Therapeutic Programs at 613-798-3394

SPIRIT Program is a Therapeutic Recreation program for children who are medically fragile . The program is offered in partnership with Ottawa Children’s Treatment Centre for information contact the Coordinator, Special Needs Therapeutic Programs at


Please note: Referral to this program is managed through the Ottawa Childrens Treatment Centre.

All individuals registered in a City of Ottawa Recreational Program are responsible to follow the Terms and Conditions of Enrolment.

If participation in a program presents any serious risk to health and safety a support person* may be required to attend with the participant. *Support Person: is defined, per Section 4(8) Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, O. Reg. 429/07, as follows: “a support person means, in relation to a person with a disability, another person who accompanies him or her in order to help with communication, mobility, personal care or medical needs or with access to goods

2017 Camp and program fair

  • Saturday March 4, 201

  • Jim Durrell Arena1265 Walkley Road

  • 10 am to 3 pm

Don’t be disappointed! Join us for a Camp Fair and secure your child’s spot in Shared Care!

The City of Ottawa Special Needs staff will be on-site with camp information to answer any questions you may have. The City of Ottawa has invited over 50 specialized camps to this event, including some residential camps.

For program information and information on this event please call Christina McCormick at 613-580-2424 ext. 29291.

More information on accessible services:

Financial Support – Ottawa Hand in Hand

Recreation & Culture Fee Support

The City of Ottawa offers help with program fees so that all residents can take part in recreation and culture activities regardless of their ability to pay. If you are already a participant in a community or social service agency program, or if you are an individual or family with a low-income, you may qualify for the Ottawa Hand in Hand recreation and culture fee support program.

To apply for the Ottawa Hand in Hand, Recreation and Culture Fee Support:

Step 1: Get the application form at any recreation facility or at a Client Service Centre.

Step 2: Complete the application form.

Step 3: Bring the completed application form to your local recreation or cultural facility. A supervisor will review the application for approval.

More information on the fee support program:

  • Residents of all ages are eligible for Ottawa Hand in Hand, recreation and culture fee support.
  • Applications can only be approved at a recreation or cultural facility.
  • Residents are encouraged to apply for the Ottawa Hand in Hand fee support as early as possible before the program registration period. Each qualifying individual, or member of a family, is eligible for an annual amount of fee support ($170 per person).
  • Participants can register for recreation and culture programs or activities at any of the program registration locations across the City.
  • Applicants are encouraged to pay a minimum of 25 per cent of the program cost. A parent or guardian can transfer all, or a portion of their Ottawa Hand in Hand fee support entitlement to a child or children in their household.
  • Applications for Ottawa Hand in Hand, recreation and culture fee support are accepted at anytime.

Recreation guide

Spring-Summer 2017 programs

Swimming Programs:

Swim Lessons: Pools A to M [ PDF - 2.32 MB ]

Swim Lessons: Pools N to Z [ PDF - 2.39 MB ]

Certification and Specialty Swimming [ PDF - 827.95 KB ]

Recreation Programs:

Summer Camps [ PDF - 2.95 MB ]

Preschoolers [ PDF - 504.96 KB ]

Children [ PDF - 1.63 MB ]

Youth [ PDF - 938.81 KB ]

Family [ PDF - 497.79 KB ]

Adult [ PDF - 1.57 MB ]

50+ Adults [ PDF - 1.98 MB ]

Fitness and Wellness [ PDF - 942.92 KB ]

Special Needs [ PDF - 1.26 MB ]

View City of Ottawa programs offered in French.

Finding healthcare

Find out how to stay healthy, where to get help and how to make informed decisions about your health. Ottawa Public Health is your link to Ottawa’s health and support services.

Emergency resources


Contact Information

Distress Centre of Ottawa and Region


Mental Health Crisis Line (24 hours a day)

613-722-6914 or 1-866-996-0991

Ligne Fem-Aide (french only)


Ottawa Dental Society Dental Emergency Service


Ottawa Public Health

TTY: 613-580-9656

Ontario Poison Centre


Telehealth Ontario

TTY: 1-866-797-0007

Finding a family doctor


Contact Information

Doctor Search
College of Physicians & Surgeons of Ontario


Find A Dentist – Ontario Dental Association


Find a Registered Dietician


Health Care Connect
Help Ontarians find a family health care provider. .

1 800 445-1822

Area hospitals

Most healthcare needs are covered by the province’s medical coverage, once you are a resident of Ontario. If required, private healthcare plans are available to cover specialized treatments that do not fall under the province’s scope of coverage. Ottawa has 4 main hospitals:


Contact Information

The Ottawa Hospital

TTY: 613-761-4024

General Campus
Civic Campus
Riverside Campus

501 Smyth Road
1053 Carling Avenue
1967 Riverside Drive

Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO)

401 Smyth Road

Queensway-Carleton Hospital

3045 Baseline Road

Montfort Hospital

713 Montreal Road

In addition, there are a number of specialized hospitals and clinics in the region.

Health Care Options Medical Services Directory
walk-in and after hours clinics, urgent care centres, and family health care providers


Ottawa Regional Cancer Centre

501 Smyth Road

Royal Ottawa Hospital
Specialty mental care in Eastern Ontario

1145 Carling Avenue

Bruyère Continuing Care
Élisabeth Bruyère Hospital

43 Bruyère Street

Bruyère Continuing Care
Résidence Saint-Louis

879 Hiawatha Park Road.

Bruyère Continuing Care
Saint-Vincent Hospital

60 Cambridge Street North

The Rehabilitation Centre

505 Smyth Road
613-737-7350 TTY: 613-526-1132

University of Ottawa Heart Institute

40 Ruskin Street

Drop in medical clinics


Contact Information

Advanced Access Medical Clinic

3091 Strandherd Dr, Unit 7

Appletree Medical Group


Orleans Urgent Care Clinic (OUCC) 

1220 Place d’Orleans Boulevard

Walk-in clinics in Ottawa – Health care options directory


Community health and resources centres


Contact Information

Coalition of Community Health and
Resource Centres of Ottawa


Community Care Access Centre Locations in Ottawa and throughout Ontario


Ottawa Community Care Access Centre

100-4200 Labelle Street
613-745-5525 or 1-800-538-0520

Carlington Community & Health Services

900 Merivale Road

Centretown Community Health Centre

420 Cooper Street

Eastern Ottawa Resource Centre

2339 Ogilvie Road

Hunt Club/Riverside Community Services Centre

3310 McCarthy Road

Lowertown Community Resource Centre

40 Cobourg Street

Nepean, Rideau and Osgoode Community Resource Centre

1642 Merivale Road, Unit 541

Orléans-Cumberland Community Resource Centre

210 Centrum Boulevard, Suite 211

Overbrook-Forbes Community Resource Centre

225 Donald Street, Unit 120

Community Health Centre

1365 Richmond Road, 2nd Floor

Sandy Hill Community Health Centre

221 Nelson Street

Somerset West Community Health Centre

55 Eccles Street

South-East Ottawa Community Health Centre

1355 Bank Street, Suite 600
TTY: 613-739-8197

Vanier Community Service Centre

290 Dupuis Street

Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre

2 MacNeil Court

[ top ]

Provincial resources


Contact Information

Eastern Ontario Health Unit

613-933-1375 or 1-800-267-7120

French Language Health Services Network
of Eastern Ontario

1173 Cyrville Road


Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care


Local resources


Contact Information

Local mental health help and events


Ottawa Police Service


Ottawa Safe Communities Network


Ottawa Safety Council


Ottawa Salus Corporation
Community Mental Health Services

200-945 Wellington Street
TTY: 613-759-8455


The Children’s Aid Society of Ottawa


Travel Medicine Program (TMP)


Youth Services Bureau


Financial resources


Contact Information

Dental and eyeglasses subsidies

Call 613-560-6000 to apply for help

Help with living costs


Community resources


Ontario Disability Support Program