Streetside spots are small outdoor spaces created by temporarily re-purposing on-street parking from April 1 – Oct 31. Streetside spots contribute to a vibrant and liveable community while sharing the right of way space with pedestrians of all abilities, cyclists and drivers.
Streetside spots can take one of three forms:
- Streetside parklet – a public space that may contain such elements as seating, shading, bike parking, or games table.
- Streetside patio – a private space reserved for patrons of a café, restaurant, or bar that does not have an existing patio.
- Streetside vending stall – an outdoor business space for the sale of merchandise.
The City will only consider streetside spots at locations which satisfy all the following:
- On a street with a speed limit of 50 km/h or less.
- At a location where parking is allowed at all times. The lane cannot be a moving traffic lane at any time of the day.
- At a location that does not have a ground floor outdoor patio and does not have the opportunity for one.
The applicant is responsible for all costs including, but not limited to, application submission, permits, insurance, licences, construction, installation, maintenance, and removal. For more information, watch our video or review the Submission requirements and Standards .
Applications will be accepted until 5 p.m. on February 15, 2016.
Configure your browser to use the Adobe PDF plug-in
Many recent browser versions include their own, native PDF plug-ins that automatically replaces the Acrobat and Reader plug-in from Adobe. Browser plug-ins typically do not support all PDF capabilities.
If you experience problems displaying a City of Ottawa PDF document on one of the following browsers, Chrome, Safari or Firefox, it's necessary to revert to the Adobe PDF plug-in.
If you still have problems, e-mail StreetSideSpots@ottawa.ca and we will send you the pdf.
If you are unsure if your location qualifies or you have questions, e-mail StreetSideSpots@ottawa.ca or contact Amy Falkner at 613-580-2424 ext. 27913 or Norma Strachan at 613-580-2424, ext. 23468.