Previous Winners

2011-2012 Winners

The Butler House

Butler HouseAward of Excellence, Restoration

The Butler House was constructed in 1964 for John Butler and his family by Ottawa architect Brian Barkham of Schoeler and Barkham Architects and is an excellent example of the International Style in Ottawa. The house was sold by the Butler family to the current owners in 2009. The Jury commented that this project is a "great example of a considered, minimal intervention conservation of a mid-century modern house, with a combination of restoration, preservation and rehabilitation components." Rehabilitation and redesign of mechanical systems and the lower level for new uses combines seamlessly with the restoration of key heritage character elements such as wood windows and doors. The building retains its heritage value and, importantly, maintains the relationship with its unique site.

Contributors:
John Donkin, John Donkin Architect
Danielle Jones, Designer
James Laish, Designer

Hogs Back Park Building Conservation

Hog's Back ParkAward of Merit, Restoration

The Refreshment Stand in Hog's Back Park was designed by Abra and Balharrie and constructed in 1955. The Refreshment Stand sits under large umbrella-like shelter and there is an associated washroom building. Both buildings are Recognized Federal Heritage Buildings. The Jury noted that, "this is a very good example of respect for great design, regardless of project size or type. The Modern "Festival" style has been preserved through careful restoration of paint colours and the lightweight structure. Upgrades to contemporary standards allow and enhance continued use yet respect the original design and site concept."

Contributors:
National Capital Commission, Owner
Edward J CuhaCI and Associates Architects
Jumec Construction Inc.

Captain Fraser House

Captain Fraser HouseAward of Excellence, Addition

The Captain Fraser House was constructed in the early 19th century and was one of the earliest houses built in the Village of Kinburn. The house was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act in 2000. The house was constructed for Captain Thomas Fraser, a United Empire Loyalist who was awarded 800 acres for his service in the War of 1812 and later became a Member of Parliament. The conservation work at the Captain Fraser House follows the guidance in the Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada, in that the addition is sympathetic to the original structure in terms of scale, setback, does not detract from the original structure, and is clearly distinguishable as a contemporary work. The Jury noted that the "project excels in other respects: it is not just an addition, but it is also a sympathetic reworking of the landscaping associated with the main building and addition. The spirit of a traditional farm yard can still be discerned, while making this exterior space more functional for contemporary purposes and removing vehicles from too-close proximity to the core heritage structure."

Contributors:

Sandra and Chris Van Barr, Owners
Richard White, Richard White Architect
Neil Stewart Carpentry
Rob Dougherty, Dougherty Stone Masonry
Denis Seguin, Custom Metals

Rideau Hall Ceremonial Greenhouses

Rideau HallAward of Excellence, Other

The Palmhouse was constructed in 1926 and is the centrepiece of the Rideau Hall complex of six greenhouses. The Palmhouse is a key component of the Rideau Hall National Historic Site of Canada and is a Classified Federal Heritage Building. The jury noted that this project is, "an outstanding work of heritage engineering, and landscape restoration and rehabilitation." Engineering challenges, including the excessive weight of the new glass, were met with a profound respect for the original footprint, height, volume, and aesthetic qualities of the Palmhouse and the other greenhouses in the complex.

Contributors:
National Capital Commission
KWC Architects Inc.
Halsall Associates Limited
Greenhouse Engineering
Rogers Greenhouses
Horticultural Management Services Inc.

Hintonburg Park

Hintonburg ParkAward of Merit, Other

This is a thoughtful rehabilitation of a formerly walled-in area for contemporary needs and use. The conservation work is a combination of stabilisation and adaptive re-use of some historic features (the periphery walls), surrounding largely new and refurbished landscape features. The historic walls have been considerably modified for new uses (though much of the new intervention is not interpreted as new). While not a criteria for judging heritage conservation, the jury notes that the refurbished Park plays a significant part in the creation of a cohesive social ambience in its neighbourhood.

Contributors:

City of Ottawa
James B. Lennox and Associates Inc.
Len Ward Inc. Arts and Architecture
D&G Landscaping
Keystone Traditional Masonry

Vincent Massey Park Buildings

Vincent Massey ParkAward of Merit, Adaptive Reuse

A very good example of respectful conservation of a carefully designed Modern complex that has been updated to current use needs. Materials, restoration, detailing, rehabilitation and reuse for contemporary accessibility and sustainability standards, and an understanding of the interconnectivity of the parts all combine to resurrect a harmonious composition that has returned and preserved the state of grace embodied originally.

Contributors:
National Capital Commission
Edward J CuhaCI and Associates Inc.
Thomas Fuller Construction Co. Limited

2012-2014 Award Winners

The Ottawa Architectural Conservation Awards recognize excellence in the preservation of the City's architectural heritage. Submissions were received in the following categories: Restoration (returning a heritage resource to its original form, material and integrity); Adaptive Re-Use (modification of a heritage resource to contemporary functional standards while retaining its heritage character); Additions (new additions to historic buildings); Infill (new construction within an historic context) and Other (conservation of engineering works, gardens, landscape features). A jury of three heritage professionals reviewed the submissions and awarded both Awards of Excellence and Awards of Merit in all five categories.

Simard House, 31 Sweetland Avenue, Award of Excellence, Residential/Commercial Simard House

Award of Excellence, Residential/Commercial
Category: Restoration
Address: 31 Sweetland Avenue

The Simard House (1884) is a rare example of a modest, Second Empire style house that is designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act. Restoring this structure using historical materials and based on historical evidence was a significant achievement, given its severely degraded condition. The jury noted: "The addition harmonizes well with the existing structure, and demonstrates that a combination of careful attention to details, materials and scale does not add significantly to immediate costs but adds value to the property over time. The creation of five apartments within a relatively small structure addresses both heritage conservation concerns in a Heritage Conservation District, and provincial policy that favours intensification. This restoration project proves that heritage structures can be brought back from the brink, and should be."

Contributors
Fernando & Albertina Martins - Owners
Douglas Hardie Architects Inc.
A.F. Martins Construction

Experimental Farm Tropical Greenhouse, Award of Excellence, Institutional Experimental Farm Tropical Greenhouse

Award of Excellence, Institutional
Category: Restoration

The Tropical Greenhouse on the Central Experimental Farm, a National Historic Site, has been a prominent public feature on the farm for almost a century. The restoration of the greenhouse, which was badly deteriorated due to the extreme heat and humidity maintained year round within the structure, followed the Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada. The jury stated: "The restoration of the Lord & Burnham Co. greenhouse was based on solid historical research and the use of original materials and technologies to reinstate the building's jewel-like appearance. The restoration work was conducted with a light hand, letting the elegance of the original structure itself shine through."

Contributors
Allan Teramura, Watson MacEwen Teramura Architects
Craig Sims, Wood and Window Conservator
Ed Bowkett, Metals Conservator
Steve Larouche, Heritage Grade

 Building 94, Central Experimental Farm, Award of Excellence, InstitutionalBuilding 94, Central Experimental Farm

Award of Excellence, Institutional
Category: Adaptive Re-Use
Address: 901 Prince of Wales Drive

Building 94 was constructed in 1936-37 for the Department of Agriculture as a place to design, build and test specialized farm machinery. The renovation, repair and adaptive re-use of Building 94 turned it into a state-of-the-art learning centre for the Canadian Agriculture and Food Museum. The renovated spaces provide permanent exhibition spaces, lunch rooms, a multi-purpose meeting hall, offices and three learning labs. The design celebrates the building's legacy as a place of ongoing experimentation, research and engineering. The jury noted: "The industrial qualities of the original structure informed the qualities of the modern museum spaces."

Contributors
GRC Architects
Baird Sampson Neuert Architects
Canada Science and Technology Museums Corporation
John G. Cooke and Associates
Jumec Construction Limited

Carp Village Café and Apartments , Award of Excellence, Residential/CommercialCarp Village Café and Apartments

Award of Excellence, Residential/Commercial
Category: Infill
Address: 3773 Carp Road

This new mixed-use red-brick building is home to Alice's Village Café and two residential apartments on the second floor. It is located at the former site of the garden of St. James Rectory, which was built in 1905. The jury observed: "This project fulfills all the expectations of excellence for infill, as well as the goals of the Carp Community Design Plan. The new building has brought new commercial services into the core with a multi-functional building that respects its historical context but is unquestionably of its own time. The new building's massing, materials and form harmonize with its neighbouring heritage structures, and its tight setback from the street perpetuates the traditional streetscape of small-town commercial properties with respect to both pedestrian and vehicular traffic."

Contributors
Malcolm Wildeboer B.Arch OAA MRAIC, Vandenberg & Wildeboer Architects Inc.
Shawn Argue, Argue Construction Ltd. – President
Greg Winters, MCIP RPP, Novatech Engineering Consultants Ltd.
Crystal Therrien, Alice's Village Café – Restaurant Owner
Gregory LeBlanc & Sallie Storey, Carp Retirement Properties – Property Owners

32 Cameron Avenue ,Award of Excellence, Residential/Commercial32 Cameron Avenue

Award of Excellence, Residential/Commercial
Category: Addition

The house at 32 Cameron Avenue was constructed c. 1887 and was designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act in 1981. It is a one-and-one-half storey brick-veneer structure with a double gable, ornate bargeboards and a one-storey veranda with decorative woodwork and railings. The modern addition at the rear of the building respects the height, scale and materials of the main body of the house. It is distinguishable from the original building and is designed and sited so that it is barely visible from most angles. The jury commented that the project "demonstrates how existing residential buildings can be expanded without compromising either the appearance of the house or the relationship between the house and street."

Contributors
Jacques Hamel, Hamel Design
Linda Hancock and Mazen Soubra - Owners
Pierre Sirois, Sirois and Sons
Yannick Denis, P.Eng, WSP Structural Engineers
David Lashley and Marina Singer, Lashley and Associates
Shane Thomas, S.M.T. Home Improvement

Rideau Hall, Dome Building

Rideau Hall, Dome Building, Award of Excellence, Institutional Award of Excellence, Institutional
Category: Addition
Address: 1 Sussex Drive

The Rideau Hall Dome Building (1877) was built by the Department of Public Works as a 'gasometer,' which was used to store coal gas for lighting the Rideau Hall site. Currently used as office space, the restoration and addition re-organized the building to better suit programming requirements and provide barrier-free access, while retaining the original character of the building. This addition follows the Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada as it is physically and visually compatible with, yet subordinate to and distinguishable from, the original historic structure. The jury noted: "The project fully respects the original volumes of the building and its exterior and materials, the placement of its original windows and the shape of its floor plates. The addition frees the original structure from the space-consuming encumbrances of modern services; it also provides views in all directions from which to appreciate the landscapes and structures of Rideau Hall."

Contributors
Robert Martin, Danica Robertson, Scott Dare, James Maddigan, Robertson Martin Architects
Kristina Pompura, Architect, Project Manager, NCC
Lisa Nicol, John G. Cooke and Associates Ltd.

Gourlay Ruins, Award of Excellence, Residential/CommercialGourlay Ruins

Award of Excellence, Residential/Commercial
Category: Other
Address: 131 Gourlay Lane

When the owners of 131 Gourlay Lane purchased the lot in the Elmwood subdivision, the walls of the historic Gourlay house remained in badly deteriorated condition on the property. Rather than demolish the historic stonework, the owners saved the ruins and incorporated them into the landscaping of their property. The jury noted: "The stabilization of the ruins of a large house and the project's integration into a modern landscape demonstrate excellence in the craft of stonemasonry and respect for an existing resource which was an excellent candidate for a new role in a new setting. New elements on the landscape are sensitively integrated into the historical fabric and are subordinate to it. The site speaks poetically of the long history of the village of Carp and surrounding farmland."

Contributors
James Reid, Keystone Traditional Masonry Inc.
Mark Mallette, Mallette Landscaping
Carole Anne Walsh, Mallette Landscaping – Designer
Pete and Sue Chatelain - Owners

20 Clemow Avenue, Award of Merit20 Clemow Avenue

Award of Merit
Category: Restoration

The house at 20 Clemow Avenue was designed by Werner E. Noffke in 1913 as his family home, and he lived in the house with his family from 1914 to 1923. The project included the restoration of all masonry work, the reconstruction of the roof using the original red-clay tiles and supplementing them with identical salvaged tiles, the recreation of non-repairable intricate copper eavestroughs and rain directors as well as the restoration of the interior, the original garage and the small storage building. The jury noted: "Scrupulous attention was paid to historical evidence, and to the use of historical materials." The house at 20 Clemow Avenue is part of the Clemow Estate East Heritage Conservation District, which is designated under Part V of the Ontario Heritage Act.

Contributors
Brian and Jodean Tobin
Doug and Cheryl Casey

St. Alban’s Anglican Church, Award of Merit St. Alban's Anglican Church

Award of Merit
Category: Restoration
Address: 454 King Edward Avenue

St. Alban's church was designed by renowned architect Thomas Fuller and completed by architect King Arnoldi in 1877. The building is an excellent example of Gothic Revival and is one of Ottawa's most historic churches. The project undertook repairs and restoration to maintain and stabilize exterior as well as interior elements. The jury noted: "The restoration project carefully addressed a broad range of structural and material deficiencies while also preserving historical fabric, including windows and doors. Inside, the building is renewed for use by the community." The building is designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act.

Contributors
Louise McGugan, Barry Padolsky Associates, Inc. Architects
Michael Herbert, Director of Finance, Anglican Diocese of Ottawa
Andrew Cheam, Centre 454 – Manager
John Cooke, John G. Cooke & Associates Ltd. – Structural Engineer
Martha Lush, Corush Sunderland Wright Ltd. – Landscape Architect

68 Park Road, Award of Merit68 Park Road

Award of Merit
Category: Infill

This house at 68 Park Road, which was built in 1917, had fallen into disrepair and required dramatic intervention. The new house sits on the footprint of the previous residence to maintain its relationship to the street. The house is thematically similar to the original structure and is finely executed in traditional materials. The jury noted: "This infill project in the Rockcliffe Village Heritage Conservation District responds to the District's intention to retain a village atmosphere through respect for landscaping features, such as setbacks and plantings, and for new construction to continue existing built forms, heights, materials and the preference for natural materials."

Contributors
Greg Statler - Owner
Dennis Kane, ARC Associates Inc.
Sylvia Grant, S. Grant Design
Stuart Hall, J. Stuart Hall and Associates

73 Crichton Street, Award of Merit73 Crichton Street

Award of Merit
Category: Addition

The building at 73 Crichton Street was constructed in 1905 and is half of a two-storey, semi-detached brick house. The jury noted that the addition "is set back from the original structure and does not dominate it. It is clearly distinguishable from the original structure in its design and materials. It wraps around the house in a subtle manner, reserving the largest portion for the rear yard." The project attempted to enhance the historic house and the streetscape and lane. The building is located in the New Edinburgh Heritage Conservation District and is designated under Part V of the Ontario Heritage Act.

Contributors
Jean-Louis Wallace and Brenda Baxter - Owners
James A. Collizza, Colizza Bruni Architecture
Gordon Weima, Gordon Weima Enterprises Inc.
David Hiel, Green Roots Landscaping

Supreme Court of Canada Elevator Modernization, Award of MeritSupreme Court of Canada Elevator Modernization

Award of Merit
Category: Other
Address: 301 Wellington St, Ottawa

This project involved the rehabilitation of the historic, Art Deco public elevators and the creation of a new dedicated elevator for the federal justices. Primary research, including correspondence between the Otis Elevator Company and the architect Ernest Cormier, was conducted. The new control panel complies with barrier-free design requirements, accommodates modern digital controls and maintains the heritage character of the building. The panel was cast from bronze using the lost-wax process. The jury commented: "The project was based upon solid historical research and physical evidence and addresses the restoration of elevators, a type of structural component that is often overlooked in heritage conservation. The elevators have been returned as small gems in one of Canada's most noble buildings."

Contributors
Emily Webster Mason, Watson MacEwen Teramura Architects
Ed Bowkett, Metals Conservator
Steve Larouche, Heritage Grade
Phil Grimes, ECR