2008 awards

The annual Ottawa Architectural Conservation Awards recognize excellence in the preservation of the City's architectural heritage. Submissions were received in the following categories: Restoration (returning a heritage resource to its original form, material and integrity); Adaptive Use (modification of a heritage resource to contemporary functional standards while retaining its heritage character); and Infill (an addition to a historic building, or all-new construction within a historic context). Bronze plaques are mounted on Award of Excellence award-winning projects, and major contributors to each project receive framed certificates. Certificates of Merit are also presented to projects and contributors deserving recognition in the three categories.

 

Award of Excellence - Restoration

Rideau Hall Façade

Ward 13 - Rideau-Rockcliffe – Councillor Jacques Legendre

Rideau Hall Façade

The project involved the restoration of the 1913 Mappin Wing of Rideau Hall, official residence of the Governor General. The deterioration of the limestone façade due to the erosion of clay deposits within the stone itself required the filling in/consolidation of the voids in the stone, structural reinforcement/pinning of the stones and in some cases, the sculpting and replacement of new decorative stone elements. In addition to the façade restoration, a new copper roof was installed and air conditioning was introduced to the building interior in the Mappin Wing, Ballroom and Tentroom in an inconspicuous manner. The Award of Excellence recognizes the significant effort from an extensive team of architects, engineers, masons and project managers in carrying out the restoration of the Rideau Hall façade.

Receiving certificates:

  • Design and Construction Division, National Capital Commission
  • Official Residences Division, National Capital Commission
  • Robert Martin, Robertson Martin Architects
  • John Diodati, architecte, Fournier, Gersovitz, Moss et associés architectes
  • Doug Walker, PCL Constructors (Canada) Inc.
  • Robert J. Watt, Danny Barber, RJW Stonemason

Award of Excellence – Adaptive Use

The Spa Day Retreat, 26 Castlefrank Drive

Ward 23 - Kanata South – Councillor Peggy Feltmate

The Spa Day Retreat, 26 Castlefrank Drive

This project adapted an historic stone residence in former Kanata to a modern spa with an extensive range of facilities. The stone house was built c.1824 for William Hodgins and in 1912 it was purchased by George Henry Sparks. The Sparks family lived here until 2001. The building was gutted as part of an effort to convert it to a school and later damaged by fire. The Spa project involved restoration of the front porch, repointing of the stone walls which are exposed in select interior spaces, interior millwork reproduced based on the 1920 period of the house and a sensitive addition at the south end.

Receiving certificates:

  • Shane & Christine Cohen
  • Georgia A. Pezoulas, Architect, GAP Architect

Award of Excellence - Infill/Adaptive Use/Restoration

131 Queen/132 Sparks Streets

Ward 14 – Somerset Ward - Councillor Diane Holmes

131 Queen/132 Sparks Streets

This new mixed-use office development is located within the Sparks Street Heritage Conservation District. It has carefully restored and integrated five historic building façades along Sparks Street and Queen Street into a unique, mixed-use retail, residential and commercial development that steps back to protect views and provide access to sunlight on the Sparks Street Mall. All façades were stabilized and restored in-situ using creative engineering solutions. The glazed terra cotta used in the Bowles Lunch façade was restored and missing elements were ordered from Boston where the material is still manufactured. The historic Hardy Arcade which runs from Sparks to Queen could not be retained in-situ because of the extensive new construction around it, but key architectural elements were removed, replicated and reintroduced so that the Arcade functions again in its original location but with additional spaces for stores. The project overall blends into the historic and architecturally unique commercial streetscape of Sparks Street with a transition from the lower scale of Sparks Street to the higher structures on Queen.

Receiving certificates:

  • 131 Queen Street Limited and Morguard Corporation
  • Dan McAlister, David Stavros, Alex Stanichevsky, Bill Van Loon, Bregman + Hamman Architects
  • Robert Martin, James Maddigan, Robertson Martin Architects Inc.
  • Paul Pasqualini, Robert Schippke, Halcrow Yolles Structural Engineers
  • Ian Mackay, Matt Fry, Ted Kucharski, Art Ivantchouk, EllisDon Corporation
  • Pierre Lariviere, Ken Auger, Camillo Mattioli, Lari Construction
  • Design and Construction Division, National Capital Commission
  • William Greer, William Greer Heritage Consultant

Certificate of Merit- Restoration

97-101 Rideau Street

Ward 12 - Rideau Vanier – Councillor Georges Bédard

97-101 Rideau Street

This project involved the restoration of three heritage commercial building facades: The Atwood at 97-99 Rideau Street (c.1908), 101 Rideau Street (c.1871), and the Featherstone Building at 103-105 Rideau Street (c.1869). The restoration project involved restoring damaged brick and stone masonry, decorative metalwork, existing cornices and brackets and re-introducing secondary cornices above the storefronts. In the absence of historic evidence, the design of the secondary cornice was based on the existing upper or main cornice but at a smaller scale. There is now a continuous band of secondary cornices extending from William Street on the recently restored Robinson-Birkett Building westward across 97-101 Rideau to the Bay. The brick was repainted to match the colour of the original buff brick, which had been painted over several times. The restoration of these three heritage commercial facades adds to the continuity of this historic part of Rideau Street.

Receiving certificates:

  • Peter Crosthwaite, Crerar Investment Corporation
  • Leonard Koffman Architect
  • Paul Denys, Denys Builds Designs
  • Rory Gardiner, President, R.M. Gardiner Construction Co. Ltd.

Certificate of Merit- Restoration

208-212 Bolton Street

Ward 12 – Rideau Vanier – Councillor Georges Bédard

208-212 Bolton Street

The project at 208-212 Bolton involved restoration of the balconies and unusual wrap-around metal cornice. The lower parts of the original wood columns had rotted and been replaced with a square base. The original half columns, which remained against the building, served as a template for the fabrication of new wood columns. The porch had gradually separated from the building and it was jacked up and stabilized with new structural footings. The quality of restoration work is very high.

Receiving certificates:

  • Bruno Duhamel & Nathalie Tremblay (210-212 Bolton)
  • Lawrence Aronovitch & Stephen Samis (208 Bolton)
  • Paul Denys, Denys Builds Designs

Certificate of Merit- Restoration

217 First Avenue, St. Matthew’s Anglican Church

Ward 17 – Capital - Councillor Clive Doucet

217 First Avenue, St. Matthew’s Anglican Church

St. Matthew’s Anglican Church was constructed between 1929 and 1931 to designs by Architect Cecil Burgess. Restoration work on this neo-Gothic building included extensive work on the exterior masonry that had been damaged through the application of a lead-based coating on the mortar that trapped moisture behind the stone, causing its deterioration. Stone roof parapets were dismantled and rebuilt with new flashings and mortar; the Bell Tower was restored and sections of the original slate roof were restored. Complex flashing details required the creative application of lead and lead-based copper. The restoration work on the church will be ongoing and will involve the hands-on participation of congregants in the restoration of more accessible areas such as lower wood windows.

Receiving certificates:

  • The Corporation of St. Matthew’s Anglican Church
  • Robert Martin & James Maddigan, Robertson Martin Architects
  • Chris Borgal, Architect, Goldsmith, Borgal & Company Architects
  • Khaled Ibrahim, P. Eng., KIB Consultants Inc.
  • Jonathan Morin, Marc Côté, Joshua Johnston, Atwill-Morin (Ontario) Inc.

Certificate of Merit – Adaptive Use

123 Metcalfe Street, The Indigo Hotel

Ward 14 – Somerset - Councillor Diane Holmes

123 Metcalfe Street, The Indigo Hotel

The Indigo Hotel is a new incarnation of the former Ottawa YMCA, which was previously renovated as the Roxborough Hotel. The recent work extended over three years and involved the creation of a new six-storey atrium in the centre of the building that brings daylight into the hotel core. Architectural details on the exterior of the building above the ground floor were preserved. The terra cotta secondary cornice above the ground floor had been extensively damaged through an earlier plywood and stucco application. The profile of the cornice was reproduced in a new material. The adaptive use of this historic building as a boutique hotel in the central core provides a bookend on this block to the historic Lord Elgin Hotel nearby.

Receiving certificates:

  • Mr. Patrick Gillin, P. Eng., Gillin Engineering and Construction Ltd.
  • David McRobie, MRAIC, OAA, OAQ, David S. McRobie Architects Inc.
  • Mr. Stuart Hall, P.Eng., J. Stuart Hall and Associates Ltd.

Certificate of Merit – Infill

700 Sussex

Ward 12 - Rideau-Vanier – Councillor Georges Bédard

700 Sussex

This 10-storey, mixed-use condominium is located at the intersections of Rideau Street, Mackenzie Avenue and Sussex Drive on the site of the former Daly Building. 700 Sussex is recognized because of its respect for adjacent heritage properties in terms of its design, massing, materials and fenestration. The glass galleria along Sussex provides an interface with the retail corridor of the Mile of History/Confederation Boulevard along Sussex Drive and the historic ByWard Market Heritage Conservation District. The street level plaza facing Rideau Street features restaurants and boutiques and provides a transition to and from Confederation Square to the west and the historic quarter of Rideau Street to the east.

Receiving certificates:

  • Bill Malhotra, Claridge Homes
  • E.A. Patton, OAA MRAIC, Director, IBI Group Architects
  • Dan Hanganu, Dan Hanganu Architect/Designer
  • Dan Carson, Halsall Associates Ltd.
  • Capital Planning & Real Asset Management Branch, National Capital Commission

Certificate of Merit – Infill /Addition

137 Stanley Street

Ward 13 – Rideau-Rockcliffe – Councillor Jacques Legendre

137 Stanley Street

137 Stanley Avenue is a brick, double dwelling located within the New Edinburgh Heritage Conservation District. Although the addition to this building is at the rear, it can be seen from Stanley Avenue, Victoria Avenue, as well as Stanley Park. The design of this addition respects the main building in the proportion of windows, height and setbacks while differentiating itself in terms of building materials and details. It is an excellent example of how a sensitive addition can be made to older buildings within a heritage conservation district in conformance with the district guidelines and the heritage overlay provisions of the zoning by-law.

Receiving certificates:

  • Bruce McLaurin & Cathy McConkey
  • Jane Thompson, Jane Thompson Architect
  • Peter Cancura, Europro Construction

[ top ]