- What is land use planning?
- The Planning Act and the Provincial Policy Statement
- The Official Plan
- The Comprehensive Zoning By-law
- Six Most Common Types of Development Applications
- The Decision Makers
- Pre-consultation and Submission of Applications
- Public Notification and Application Review
- Issue Resolution and Report Writing
- The Urban Design Review Panel
The core courses are led by planning staff. Electronic copies of the course materials (PowerPoint presentations and other course notes) will be available to participants electronically, or in hard copy at the sessions.
Online materials now available for Courses and Electives
Primer 1 [ PDF 1.182 MB ] Version 1 posted fall 2015
Primer II [ PDF 1.762 MB ] Version 1 posted fall 2015
Development Charges Elective [ PDF 640 KB ]
Park Planning Elective [ PDF 5.807 MB ]
Residential Intensification and Infill Elective [ PDF 6.083 KB ]
Heritage Planning Elective [ PDF 3.550 MB ]
Secondary Planning Processes Elective [ PDF 9.959 MB ]
Natural Systems Elective [ 4.923 MB ]
Planning for Healthy Communities Elective [ PDF 3.198 MB ]
While attending the courses in person allows one to benefit from the personal knowledge shared by the presenters and the question and answer periods, these online materials will provide a useful summary for use between courses as well as for those who are unable to attend in person.
Expansion of the online Planning Primer materials is under way.
Please register to receive our e-newsletter notification to receive more information about the courses and upcoming dates.