The Confederation Line West extension will see light rail transit (LRT) continue west from Tunney's Pasture to Bayshore and Baseline stations.
This extension will:
- Add 13 kilometres of rail and 10 LRT stations to the City's overall transit network at Westboro, Dominion, Cleary, New Orchard, Lincoln Fields, Iris, Baseline, Queensview, Greenbank and Bayshore.
- Provide comfortable, reliable, efficient LRT connections to:
- Retail destinations including Westboro, Hintonburg/West Wellington, Pinecrest, and Lincoln Fields, College Square, and Bayshore shopping centres.
- Greenspace including the Ottawa River pathways and the National Capital Commission's future Linear Waterfront Park, Westboro beach, Pinecrest Creek Corridor, etc.
- Employment centres including Tunney's Pasture, Queensview Drive/Pinecrest, Morrison Drive, Baxter Road, and Centrepointe.
- Educational institutions, community centres, and places of worship.
- Provide new and direct access to LRT for residents in the Hintonburg, Island Park, Westboro, Laurentian, Woodroffe/Lincoln Heights, White Haven-Queensview Terrace North, Bayshore, Iris, Centrepointe, and Lincoln Heights communities.
- Connect directly to the West Transitway to Kanata, and the Southwest Transitway to Barrhaven to facilitate the daily commute.
- Provide opportunities to maximize cycling connections at stations and along the alignment.
Approved as part of the City's 2013 Transportation Master Plan, Stage 2 Light Rail is a package of three extensions that represent the next phase of rail rapid transit investment in Ottawa. By 2023, Stage 2 will add a total
of 30 kilometres of rail and 19 new stations to the O-Train system from Bayshore to Place d'Orleans, and south to Bowesville at Riverside South.