Voter Identification requirements

Identification is needed to vote in the 2014 municipal elections. The requirements are the same for electors who wish to have a proxy vote on their behalf. 

One piece of identification is needed

A single, original piece of identification must be presented that shows your name and qualifying Ottawa address (where you currently live or own property). There is no longer a requirement to show identification with a signature. 

You must present one of the following documents showing your name and address:

  • Ontario driver’s licence 
  • Ontario Health Card (with address) 
  • Ontario Photo Card 
  • Ontario motor vehicle permit (vehicle portion) 
  • A cancelled personalized cheque 
  • A mortgage statement, lease or rental agreement relating to property in Ontario 
  • An insurance policy or insurance statement 
  • A loan agreement or other financial agreement with a financial institution 
  • A document issued or certified by a court in Ontario 
  • Any other document from the government of Canada, Ontario or a municipality in Ontario or from an agency or such a government 
  • Any document from a Band Council in Ontario established under the Indian Act (Canada) 
  • An income tax assessment notice 
  • A Child Tax Benefit Statement 
  • A Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E 
  • A Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS) 
  • A Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P) 
  • A Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contributions 
  • A Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Works 
  • A Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Disability Support Program 
  • A Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
  • A property tax assessment 
  • A credit card statement, bank account statement, or RRSP, RRIF, RHOSP or T5 statement 
  • A CNIB Card or a card from another registered charitable organization that provides services to persons with disabilities 
  • A hospital card or record 
  • A document showing campus residence, issued by the office or officials responsible for student residence at a post-secondary institution 
  • A document showing residence at a long-term care home under the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007, issued by the Administrator for the home 
  • A utility bill for hydro, water, gas, telephone or cable TV or a bill from a public utilities commission 
  • A cheque stub, T4 statement or pay receipt issued by an employer 
  • A transcript or report card from a post-secondary school