Councillor Diane Deans
Councillor Riley Brockington
Councillor Jody Mitic
Councillor Shad Qadri
Councillor Rick Chiarelli
Councillor Keith Egli
Councillor Mathieu Fleury
Councillor Tobi Nussbaum
Councillor George Darouze
Councillor Michael Qaqish
Mayor Jim Watson
Terms of Reference
The Community and Protective Services Committee is responsible for creating and maintaining a safe and healthy community that promotes and supports quality of life, while encouraging resident involvement in the culture and life of their communities. The Committee is responsible for issues relating to housing, parks, recreation, cultural programming, heritage, long-term care, social services, and emergency and protective services.
Membership of the Community and Protective Services Committee shall consist of Members of Council, as approved by Council. The Mayor is an ex officio member.
The Community and Protective Services Committee shall:
- Be responsible directly to Council for those items emanating from:
- All applicable branches within the City Operations Portfolio, including the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Department, Emergency and Protective Services Department, Community and Social Services Department;
- The Parks, Buildings and Grounds Operations and Maintenance Branch of the Public Works Department on items related to parks and sports fields, recreation, cultural and heritage facilities and related building assets;
- Advisory Committees or Sub-committees that are within the area of responsibility of this Committee; and
- Local boards, agencies and corporations that are created by, and report to, this Committee.
- Ensure co-ordination and consultation with other Standing Committees and departments where responsibilities overlap on community and protective services matters and on issues relevant to the mandate of more than one Committee.
- Have the authority to hear briefings on litigious matters related to items within the Committee’s mandate and to give direction to the City Clerk and Solicitor on such matters where it is consistent with current Council direction or policy.
- Subsequent to the approval of the budget, consider, for recommendation to Council, all operating and capital budget adjustments and Public-Private Partnerships pertaining to items within the Committee’s mandate.
- Consult with the Agricultural and Rural Affairs Committee on issues within the Committee’s mandate that have an effect on the City’s rural residents and businesses, or relating to items of interest for the agricultural and associated industries.
- Receive reports from staff regarding the exercise of delegated authority (By-law 2014-435) on items within the Committee’s mandate.
- Review and recommend to Council the recommendations submitted by the Commemorative Naming Committee with respect to commemorative naming of City parks and other City-owned recreational and cultural facilities, excepting those applications in the rural areas.
- Ensure active public participation by receiving delegations from the public, and holding public hearings as required by statute and Council.
- Address all matters related to, and arising from, Advisory Committees or Sub-committees under the Standing Committee’s responsibility and that are in line with the established Committee and Council Strategic Plans.
- Review and recommend to Council revisions to the Community and Protective Services Committee Terms of Reference, as required.
- Have the delegated authority to decide matters that are consistent with the application of federal and/or provincial statutes and/or regulations.
- Recommend to Council, the City of Ottawa’s participation in federal or provincial cost-sharing programs for matters within the mandate of the Committee.
- Monitor federal and provincial legislation with a distinct impact on community and protective services matters.
- Recommend to Council proposed by-laws that are under the Committee’s jurisdiction.
- Pursuant with the Delegation of Authority By-law (Section – Conferences and Conventions), approve Councillors travel and attendance at conferences that are related to the Committee’s mandate.
The Community and Protective Services Committee shall:
- Provide overall guidance and direction to the Emergency and Protective Services Department.
Fire and Paramedic Services
- Provide overall guidance and direction to the Fire Services and Paramedic Services branches.
- Ensure that all emergency response services are provided in accordance with applicable laws and guidelines.
- Receive and review the Fire Services Annual Report and the Ottawa Paramedic Services Annual Report to understand the current levels of service and identify any need and method for improvement to Council.
Security and Emergency Management
- Ensure effective coordination between emergency services and other protective service providers, as well as corporate support services.
- Oversee the provision of 9-1-1 Services to ensure that the integrated response from the City’s emergency services (Fire, Paramedic, Police) is efficient.
- Ensure effective coordination between the 9-1-1 Service and other dispatch agencies.
- Receive and review the Annual 9-1-1 Report to understand the current level of service and integrated response effectiveness, and identify any need and method for improvement to Council.
- Oversee the provision of the Emergency Management Program to ensure that effective emergency measures planning, disaster management processes and training and education services are in place to help protect the citizens and visitors of Ottawa in the event of a major emergency.
- Oversee the provision of the Corporate Security Program to ensure that effective and appropriate physical security plans, process tools and training are in place to help protect the employees, citizens and visitors of Ottawa at City-owned facilities.
- Receive and review the Security and Emergency Management Annual Report to understand the current levels of service.
- Provide overall guidance and direction to the Security and Emergency Management Branch.
- Ensure that all Security and Emergency Management programs and services are provided in accordance with applicable laws and guidelines.
By-Law and Regulatory Services
- Oversee the enforcement of regulations and policies relating to parking, property standards, animals, noise, business licensing and other regulatory by-laws.
- Oversee the administration of programs related to the work and mandate of the By-law and Regulatory Services Branch.
- Provide overall guidance and direction to the By-law and Regulatory Services Branch for all by-laws and related programs that fall within the mandate of this Committee.
- Ensure that all by-laws are enacted and enforced in accordance with applicable laws and guidelines.
Community and Social Services
- Provide overall guidance and direction to the Community and Social Services Department.
- Provide overall guidance and direction to the implementation of Client Service Strategies.
- Make recommendations to Council on implementing and improving client services for specific needs populations within Community and Social Services.
- Oversee and make recommendations to Council on all Community Development Framework activities.
- Make recommendations to Council for community funding to organizations providing social services to vulnerable and low income residents in response to community needs.
- Monitor and make recommendations to Council on social policies and poverty reduction strategies.
- Make recommendations to Council on providing residents with access to responsive and integrated employment and social services in order to promote self-reliance and encourage participation in the community.
- Operate the Long Term Care Homes to accommodate eligible City of Ottawa residents and enhance their quality of life, in accordance with applicable laws and guidelines.
- Oversee and make recommendations to Council on the expenditure of allocated monies to meet the long-term care needs of citizens in the community, whether through institutional care or outreach programs.
- Make recommendations to Council on the provision of children’s services, including licensed and subsidized childcare.
- Ensure the City of Ottawa meets or exceeds its mandated obligations for the Service System Management for Child Care.
- Oversee and make recommendations to Council on all housing issues that fall within the mandate of this Committee (i.e. social housing, supportive housing and homelessness).
- Monitor the activities and implementation of policies, programs and projects for the Social Housing and Shelter Management Branch.
- Make recommendations to Council on how to meet the needs of residents eligible for supportive housing, and housing support services to live independently in the community.
- Oversee the delivery of emergency shelter and transitional housing services.
(Note that Planning Committee is responsible for the Affordable Housing Strategy, development and policies related to the City’s Official Plan – see Planning Committee Terms of Reference).
Parks, Recreation and Culture
- Provide overall guidance and direction to the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Department.
- Establish and implement recreation and parks programs including aquatics, field sports, ice sports, fitness, special needs, and other instructional programs.
- Plan and maintain recreational facilities, parks, and sports fields.
- Develop partnerships with, and provide funding to, community groups in the recreation, arts, heritage and cultural sectors for the delivery of innovative programs and services that respond to community need.
- Provide overall guidance and direction on matters related to Arts, Cultural Affairs, Museums and Archives.
Council and committee agendas and minutes
For upcoming Council and Standing Committee meetings use e-Agenda, you can search meeting materials, see voting records, browse the OpenData catalogue, or listen to or view standing committee audiocasts and webcasts.
Looking for old meeting minutes? Review meetings that occurred prior to June 18, 2012.
Looking for past Committee audiocasts? Listen to past committee meetings.