Household garbage is collected every two weeks. Maximize your recycling to minimize the amount of garbage you produce. You can place out an unlimited amount of recycling each collection day.
Check your Collection Calendar to confirm your collection schedule.
Bi-weekly collection saves taxpayers money, removes trucks from the road and extends the life of the Trail Road landfill.
Report an issue with garbage collection
How often is garbage collected?
- Garbage is collected every two weeks
- The green bin is collected every week
- Recyclables are picked up on alternating weeks (black box one week, blue box the next). Your blue box and garbage will be picked up the same week.
- Leaf and yard waste is collected with your green bin.
- Only non-recyclable items should be placed in the garbage. Recyclable items are collected separately. Not sure where an item belongs? Please check the Waste Explorer.
How many bags, items or cans can be put out?
Residents receiving curbside collection can set out up to six items every second week on their garbage day.
When and where to put your garbage
- Put garbage at the curb any time after 6 p.m. the evening prior to your collection day and no later than 7 a.m. on your collection day
- Place bags or cans on the ground as close as possible to the roadway, but not on the sidewalk, traveled roadway or on top of snow banks
How to package your garbage
- Do not put your recyclables, organics or yard waste in plastic bags
- Do not use shopping bags, 'Kitchen Catchers' or cardboard boxes for garbage
- Make sure your material is packaged or contained securely to avoid loose debris
- Separate all broken glass from your garbage and place it in a cardboard box clearly labelled 'broken glass'. Doing otherwise can result in serious injuries to collection operators
- Put sawdust, ashes and other material of similar nature in your green bin. NO hot ashes please.
- Add leaf and yard waste to your green bin. Do not mix leaf and yard waste, recyclables and garbage together.
- All carpet should be tied and bundled. Bundles should be less than 1.2 m (4 ft.) in length, less than 60 cm (2 ft.) in diameter and less than 15 kg (33 lb.) in weight.
- All garbage cans, bags or boxes should not weigh more than 15 Kg (33 lb)
Acceptable garbage containers
The lid must be easily detached from the garbage can – free of hinges, ropes or bungee cords.
For more details on approved container sizes, visit the City’s Solid Waste By-law.
For more details on approved container storage outside of garbage day, visit Property standards by-law, section 12.
How do I dispose of bulky items?
“Bulky items” such as, but not limited to, bicycles, floor lamps, mattresses, furniture, microwaves, sinks, toilet bowls, barrels, pool pumps, pool covers and any other discarded materials, which items would normally accumulate at a residential dwelling or multi-unit residential building and can easily be lifted up and into a collection vehicle can be put out for collection on your garbage day providing the total combined number of garbage containers and bulky items does not exceed six items every second week on their garbage day.