Ottawa - The City of Ottawa Commemorative Naming Committee is conducting public consultations on four separate naming proposals to:
- Name the tennis courts within St. Luke’s Park, at 166 Frank Street, “Leon Katz Tennis Courts”
- Name the new pedestrian and cycling bridge over Highway 417 near Coventry Road, “Max Keeping Bridge”
- Rename Somerset Square, at 2 Spadina Avenue, “Shawn Little Park”
- Name a future park within the new residential development at 1921 Stittsville Main Street, “Howard A. Maguire Park”
Leon Katz Tennis Courts – (Ward 14 – Somerset)
In recognition of his excellence, courage and exceptional service, the City of Ottawa has been asked to name the tennis courts within St. Luke’s Park, at 166 Frank Street, “Leon Katz Tennis Courts.”
Born in Montreal in 1924, Leon Katz served during World War II. Following the war, he pursued his studies at McGill University, becoming a Biomedical Engineer.
Through the 1950s and 1960s, while living in Montreal, Mr. Katz invented, innovated and hand-built a wide range of hospital instruments, including a fetal heart monitor, infant incubator, scanner-printer to detect radioactive iodine uptake in thyroid disease, high-speed contrast injector for angiography, and a heart-lung bypass machine.
In the early 1970s, Mr. Katz moved to Ottawa to work at Health Canada’s Bureau of Medical Devices, where he established new legislation for medical devices.
Max Keeping Bridge – (Ward 13 – Rideau-Rockcliffe and Ward 18 – Alta Vista)
In recognition of his extensive community service, the City of Ottawa has been asked to name the new pedestrian and cycling bridge over Highway 417 near Coventry Road, “Max Keeping Bridge.”
Max Keeping was a community leader, a trusted source of news and local stories and a tireless advocate for our community’s most vulnerable.
Max contributed his time and profile to raise funds for several local charities and causes. It is estimated that his efforts have helped raise more than $100 million for organizations such as the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO), Roger’s House, the United Way, the Boys and Girls Club, Operation Come Home and the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation.
Max was also a big supporter of local baseball, and the pedestrian and cycling bridge over Highway 417 near Coventry Road is connected to the baseball stadium, as well as being in close proximity to CHEO, the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation and the Cancer Survivors’ Park, making it a fitting location for this commemoration.
Shawn Little Park – (Ward 15 – Kitchissippi)
In recognition of his extensive community service, the City of Ottawa has been asked to rename Somerset Square, at 2 Spadina Avenue, “Shawn Little Park.”
As a City Councillor, Shawn Little worked very closely with the Hintonburg Community Association’s Security Committee, and formed strong relationships with the Ottawa Police Service and City staff to develop a comprehensive strategy to put the community on a positive footing for future growth and transformation.
In 2005, he worked to establish the Hintonburg Safety Partnership, which piloted a Landlord School to address a number of habitual problem properties. He also helped form the Hintonburg Economic Development Committee and worked with residents and local businesses to beautify Wellington Street West, Somerset Street West and local parks.
Howard A. Maguire Park – (Ward 21 – Rideau-Goulbourn)
In recognition of his demonstrated excellence, courage and exceptional service, the City of Ottawa has been asked to name a future park within the new residential development at 1921 Stittsville Main Street, “Howard A. Maguire Park.”
Howard A. Maguire was a resident of Stittsville for more than 60 years. During this time, he served the community as a firefighter for 33 years, receiving numerous awards and recognitions.
In 1957, Howard founded the Stittsville News, a monthly local paper that has since become a strongly established weekly community publication.
In addition, Howard and his wife, Molly, were members of the Stittsville United Church, where he served on the church’s board of trustees and taught Sunday school for 13 years.