Ottawa – Local businesses and community groups are reminded that the deadline to submit an application for the City of Ottawa’s Streetside Spots pilot is February 15.
Streetside spots are small outdoor spaces created by temporarily re-purposing on-street parking spaces. They will contribute to a vibrant and liveable community by sharing the right-of-way space with pedestrians of all abilities, cyclists and drivers.
The City will grant up to 25 permits to allow on-street parking spaces to be converted to one of three forms:
- Streetside parklet – a public space that may contain seating, shading, bike parking or a games table
- Streetside patio – a private space reserved for patrons of a café or restaurant that does not have an existing patio
- Streetside vending stall – an outdoor business space for the sale of merchandise
For local businesses, Streetside Spots can be an extension of their regular business locations.
The City will grant permits for the spring-to-fall season of 2016. As part of the criteria, an eligible parking space must be:
- On a street with a speed limit of 50 km/h or less
- Located in an existing on-street parking space not subject to time limits (i.e. does not become a traffic lane at rush hour)
- In a location that has no existing patio or an opportunity to have a outdoor patio under the Encroachment By-Law
For more information on Streetside Spots, including applications and design criteria, visit ottawa.ca or call 3-1-1.