Ottawa has been named as the 'Best Place to Live in Canada', in MoneySense magazine’s annual rankings, for the second year in a row.
In a ranking of 417 cities, towns and villages, Ottawa came out on top as a prosperous, affordable and safe city. The number of cities, towns and villages considered in the rankings nearly doubled in number from last year making the honour of taking top spot that much more special. Rankings were based on the economy, wealth, affordability, safety and culture of each city, as well as access to health care, airports and schools.
Residents who call Ottawa home are well aware of the many variables that make this a great city to work, live and play, but here’s why MoneySense says we’re the crème of the Canadian crop:
- Ottawa is a safe and affordable city
- Lower-than-average unemployment rate
- Great access to health care
- Ottawa boasts a thriving cultural scene
- Development of Lansdowne Park as a work/play area offers entertainment options in the city
- The O-Train Confederation Line will bring modern light rail transit service to Ottawa in 2018.
The top ranking reflects the City of Ottawa’s multi-year economic development strategy, Partnerships for Innovation, which is investing in initiatives that encourage:
- Investment attraction, and business expansion and retention
- Entrepreneurship and innovation
- Tourism development
- Research and information tools
Want to learn more about the services and programs that help make the City of Ottawa great? Visit ottawa.ca or call 3-1-1 (TTY: 613-580-2401). You can also connect with us through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.