Public health requirements for attending school
Students attending school in Ontario must provide proof of immunization as required by the Immunization of School Pupils Act. Students who are not immunized must provide a valid exemption.
Ottawa Public Health must collect and maintain student immunization information. The information is reviewed each school year to ensure that students continue to meet the requirements of the law.
If an exemption is required for any reason, contact the Immunization Program at 613-580-6744 ext. 24108. (What do I do if I do not want my child immunized?)
Update your child’s immunization record
Any time your child gets a vaccination or booster shot you need to update their record with Ottawa Public Health by:
Completing school registration
To complete the Public Health portion of school registration, contact the Ottawa Public Health Immunization Program at 613-580-6744, ext. 24108 for an appointment or information or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also obtain the forms directly from the school during registration and complete them as directed.
- Please complete all the information on the Student Immunization Information form
- Return the completed form and a copy of the student's immunization record to the Ottawa Public Health Immunization Program or to the school. If the student is missing immunization or the information is incomplete, nurses from the Immunization Program will contact you during the school year.
Immunization is available at:
Your family doctor or a walk-in clinic.
There is no charge for the vaccines available through public funding.
DO NOT GO TO THE CHEO EMERGENCY UNIT FOR ROUTINE IMMUNIZATION. IT IS ONLY FOR EMERGENCY CARE.
Find a doctor:
Keeping immunization records
Your doctor should give you a written record whenever immunization is given to your child. It is the responsibility of parents/guardians to take care of this record and keep it up to date. It’s as important as a birth certificate or passport. Health Canada recommends restarting immunization when the child has no documentation of immunization.
Written records are needed when:
- Starting day care or kindergarten
- Transferring to a new school in another area
- Going to summer camp
- Starting university or college, especially in health care programs
- Living in residence at university or college
- Going to work
- Traveling to countries where the diseases are common
- Going for emergency health care
Deciding not to immunize a child
A valid signed exemption is required if you decide not to immunize your child for medical, religious or philosophical reasons. Exemptions may be obtained by calling the Ottawa Public Health Immunization Program at 613-580-6744, ext. 24108 or at 1-866-426-8885, ext. 24108.