Ottawa Fire Services protects the lives, property and environment for the citizens of and visitors to the City of Ottawa.
Ottawa Fire Services will be a modern and integrated fire service that operates seamlessly, employs highly-productive and highly-motivated people, uses innovative practices and technology, and strives to be better each and every day.
The goal of Ottawa Fire Services is to reduce or eliminate loss of life and property. In order to meet this goal, Ottawa Fire Services:
- Encourages a culture of public fire safety and strives to empower members of the community with the knowledge and tools required to prevent fires, and
- Enhances emergency responses through continual training of staff, identifying change opportunities and managing service priorities.
- Public fire safety education;
- Application of fire safety standards and enforcement, including thorough fire cause, origin and circumstance evaluations, Fire Code compliance, investigations, fire inspections and risk assessments;
- Effective emergency response, including fire suppression and medical emergency calls, and rescue operations (e.g. water/ice rescue, automobile extrication, confined space, trench, collapse and high angle) and special operations such as responding to hazardous materials calls; and
- Recruitment outreach and community engagement campaigns such as Camp FFIT (Female Firefighters in Training).