Burn permits

Burn Permits (or Open Air Fire Permits) are issued under the Open Air Fire By-law No. 2004-163, which regulates the conditions under which fires may be set in the open air.

Is my property eligible for an Open Air Fire Permit or Outdoor Fireplace and Campfire?

Please find your property (area/location) on the Burn Zone Schedule to confirm if you are able to obtain an Open Air Fire Permit or have an Outdoor Fireplace and Campfire.

Further details are as follows:

  • A permit is required in order to light a fire on private property; this includes having a backyard fire or using a large fire pit.
  • A permit is not necessary for outdoor natural gas, propane or ethanol fireplaces.
  • If a device is designed and intended solely for the cooking of food in the open air, it does not require an open air fire permit, provided it does not burn wood, tree limbs, branches and non-compostable material limited to paper and sisal twine. Approved cooking appliances include gas, charcoal or propane BBQ/hibachis or gas or propane outdoor fireplace [must be ULC approved].

Where can I obtain an Open Air Fire Permit?

Open Air Fire Permits can be obtained at any City of Ottawa Client Service Centre.

The following client service centres only issue Open Air Fire Permits, one day per week, in accordance with the following schedule.


Area, Hours of Operation
Tuesday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
8243 Victoria St.
Metcalfe, ON K0A 2P0
West Carleton
Wednesday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
5670 Carp Rd.
Kinburn, ON K0A 2H0
North Gower
Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
2155 Roger Stevens Dr.
North Gower, ON KOA 2T0


Open Air Fire Permits can also be obtained at the following Rural Fire Administration Offices below. Please contact the office you wish to visit by phone in advance to ensure that someone is available to assist you upon arrival.


Rural Fire Administration Offices
Hours of Operation
District 6 
Tuesday and Thursday
8:30am - 04:00pm
Carp Fire Station
475 Donald B Munro Drive , Carp ON  K0A 1L0
613-580-2424, ext. 32260
District 7 
Tuesday - Wednesday
8:30am - 04:00pm
Vars Fire Station, 6090 Rockdale Rd.
R.R. 1 Vars, ON K0A 3H0
District 8 
Monday, Wednesday and Friday
8:30am - 04:00pm
Stittsville Fire Station,
1643 Stittsville Main St.
Stittsville, ON K2S 1A5
613-580-2424, ext. 32260
District 9 
Monday,Thursday and Friday
8:30am - 04:00pm
Manotick Fire Station,
5669 Manotick Main St.
Manotick, ON K4M 1K1


Payment options: Cash, cheque, debit and credit card payment is accepted at all locations above.


For more details on days and locations, call 613-580-2880.

Specific Event Permits can only be obtained at the Fire Prevention Division, 101 Centrepointe Drive, given the requirement for a site inspection by Ottawa Fire Services staff prior to permit issuance.

Ottawa Fire Services
Fire Prevention Division
8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
101 Centrepointe Drive, 3rd Floor,
Nepean, ON K2G 5K7

A specific event permit allows open air fires (based on approval from Ottawa Fire Services, Fire Prevention division) that are normally not allowed in designated no burn areas of the City. Only a community not-for-profit organization or a religious institution may apply for an open air fire permit to conduct campfires or open air fires in an outdoor fireplace for cultural, religious or recreational specific events.

Please allow a minimum of 15 business days to process your permit application. Payment ($50) is due upon permit issuance, not upon application. 

Cash ( exact change only), cheques, credit or debit cards are accepted for a Specific Event Permit only at Fire Prevention Division, 101 Centrepointe Drive,3rd floor 

[ top ]

What is the cost of a permit?

  • $13 (tax included) for an Annual Permit 
  • $13 (tax included) for an Annual Agricultural Permit that may include up to four (4) properties 
  • $50 (tax included) for a Specific Event Permit 

[ top ]

Do I need any special information in order to apply for a permit?

Identification is required to obtain a new Open Air Fire Permit.  Acceptable ID is a Driver’s Licence or a City of Ottawa Tax bill.

If you are applying for an Annual Agricultural Permit, you must provide a copy of your Farm Business Registration Number at the time of application. This permit will allow you to burn windrows fires overnight from Monday to Friday. These types of fires are usually left to burn for days at a time due to their size (i.e., 50 metres in length, 5 metres in width and 3 metres in height) and require supervision at all times. For more information on Annual Agricultural Permits or windrows fires, please contact the City of Ottawa at 3-1-1.

You must be the legal owner of a property to obtain a permit for it. If you do not own the property, you must provide written consent from the landowner authorizing your permit application.

[ top ]

What forms of payment are accepted?

Cash, cheques, credit or debit cards are accepted at all Client Service Centres.

Only cash and cheques are accepted at the Ottawa Fire Services locations, which do not have the capability to accept other forms of payment.

Cash ( exact change only), cheques, credit or debit cards are accepted for a Specific Event Permit only at Fire Prevention Division, 101 Centrepointe Drive, 3rd floor 

[ top ]

Where can I get a copy of the Open Air Fire By-law?

The Open Air Fire By-law is available on the City’s website or by calling 3-1-1.

[ top ]

Do I have to notify Ottawa Fire Services before I start an open air fire?

Yes. Prior to setting an open air fire, you must first contact Ottawa Fire Services at 613-580-2880 to ensure there that a fire ban is not in effect.

For campfires and outdoor fireplaces you will be asked to follow the conditions and regulations within your permit.

However, if you are burning wood in any other form, such as brush piles, you will be asked to report the Open Air Fire and Permit number at which time you will be provided with a reference number.

[ top ]

For how long will my new permit be valid?

Annual, Annual Restricted and Annual Agricultural Permits are valid from the date of issue until the end of the calendar year (December 31). Specific Event Permits are valid for the date(s) specified on the permit.

Starting December 1, permits can be purchased for the upcoming year.

Renewal forms are sent every year to the home owners who had a permit the previous year.  (No ID is needed for renewal of a permit, identification is only required to obtain a new Open Air Permit)


[ top ]

Why are open air fires prohibited in some areas of the city?

It is unsafe to set and maintain open air fires in certain areas of the City. Population density and average lot size criteria were considered in the determination of the areas in which open air fires are permitted. Risk management issues, such as proximity to dense forest of certain types, were also considered.

[ top ]

Is the use of an outdoor fireplace (either masonry or metal) considered open air burning?

Yes. Although these fireplaces are designed to be used outdoors rather than indoors and may limit the heat and sparks through their design, these reduced levels are still cause for concern. Ottawa Fire Services does not approve of open air burning in urban areas or near buildings. Therefore, outdoor fireplaces are not permitted in urban areas.

[ top ]

What is a fire ban and why can I not have an open air fire when a fire ban is in effect?

A fire ban, which is declared by the Fire Chief or his designate and is based largely on environmental conditions, is a period of time during which no one may set or maintain any open air fire anywhere within the city limits for reasons related to public safety and protection of property.

[ top ]

Do I need to know my permit number?

Yes. It is a requirement to not only be aware of your permit number for purposes of reporting/recording your open air fire to Ottawa Fire Services (OFS) but also to be able to produce the permit upon request, as stipulated by the by-law. Documentation of the locations of larger open air fires by OFS will help the reduce false alarms (i.e., unexpected responses to your home by Ottawa Fire Services).

[ top ]

green flagOpen air fires: Permitted

Open air fires are permitted with the use of a burn permit. Please contact Ottawa Fire Services at 613-580-2880 prior to setting any open air fire.