Camp FFIT – Female Firefighters in Training: August 21- 25, 2017
The City of Ottawa – in partnership with Fire Service Women Ontario (A Not-for-Profit organization of women and men from Ontario fire departments) – presents a unique opportunity to give young women a taste of what it’s like to be a firefighter.
Camp FFIT is designed to educate young women about the career of fire fighting. All participants will have an opportunity to speak to men and women of the Career and Part time Ottawa Fire Services, as well as firefighters from neighbouring communities and students who have recently graduated from a Pre-Service Firefighter Education and Training Program.
Participants will also have an opportunity to perform many tasks, including, but not limited to the following:
- Basic Firefighting
- Team building
- Wearing full PPE (Personal Protective Equipment)
- Use of SCBA – Self Contained Breathing Apparatus
- Basics of Pump/Ladder operations
- Fitness and Nutrition Information
- Aerial ladder climb
- Auto Extrication
- Basics of technical rescue
- Search and rescue
- Forcible entry
- Catching hydrants
- High rise operations
- Fighting simulated kitchen and car fires.
All CAMP FFIT Activities and Evolutions will be led by qualified members of Ottawa Fire Services. Camp instruction will be offered in English only.
To qualify you must:
- Be 15 to19 years of age
- Be in good physical condition
- Have a positive attitude
- Complete an application form
- Agree to follow all rules and regulations
- Participate in all activities and classes
- Must possess a valid OHIP or Provincial Health Insurance Card.
To apply you must:
The cost of CAMP FFIT is $150 and all participants will require steel toe boots to take part in all fire ground activities.
Learn more about this exciting opportunity from past participants: My Experience at Camp FFIT 2015. For additional information concerning Camp FFIT, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Training Centre at 613-580-2424 x 29621.