Special items

How to dispose of large, bulky or other items

Check out the City of Ottawa's Waste Explorer to find out where to bring large, bulky or other items.

Is the item you’re looking for not on this list? Use the Waste Explorer to find out more about disposing of electronics and hazardous materials. 


The City does NOT pick up appliances such as stoves, refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, dryers, dishwashers, hot water tanks, furnaces or oil tanks at the curb. These appliances contain recyclable parts. Residents must make their own arrangements to have them taken away. Check the Yellow Pages under "recycling" for a list of businesses providing this service, or take them back to participating retailers - electronic or household items.  

Remember all refrigerators, freezers, air conditioning units and dehumidifiers must have cooling chemicals removed and be tagged by a certified technician prior to being brought to a landfill site. Any items that are not tagged will be refused entry into the site.


Many retailers will accept AA, AAA batteries and rechargeable batteries. Also, check Home Depot ECO Options and Household Hazardous Waste Depots

Construction material

Plaster, wood (including pressure-treated lumber), drywall, concrete, asphalt or other waste resulting from building construction, renovation or demolition ARE NOT collected with regular garbage. This material can be brought to the Trail Road Landfill Site or to another landfill. 

The following companies offer a program for recycling some construction and renovation materials:

Residents must phone ahead before returning an item.

Flares, bullets, explosives, guns and fireworks

Flares, bullets, explosive devices, ammunition, firearms and fireworks can cause severe injury or death, and should never be thrown out with your regular garbage. To dispose of these materials safely, contact Ottawa Police at 613-230-6211. Police will come and make sure all necessary safety precautions have been taken to dispose of these items. 

Glass (windows, drinking glasses, dishes, coffee pots, mirrors, light bulbs, etc.)

For the health and safety of waste collectors, please securely package glass items in a cardboard box and label the box "glass" so that the operator is aware of its contents when placing it in the truck.  

Energy efficient light bulbs

Energy efficient light bulbs can be returned to some businesses and Household Hazardous Waste depots

Fluorescent light bulbs

Fluorescent light bulbs should be brought to Household Hazardous Waste depots. Fluorescent light bulbs can be disposed of in the regular garbage if they are carefully wrapped and taped inside the original cardboard container or wrapped and taped in packing material to prevent breakage. 

Large, bulky items

Large items such as sofas, mattresses and furniture can be picked up at the curb. Please put the item out before 7 am on your collection day. Check the Waste Explorer for opportunities to recycle. 


Unused prescription drugs can pose a health risk if not properly disposed. Visit any of our participating pharmacies to take it back. 

Motor oil

Used motor oil can be conveniently returned in your community to a number of business partners.


Paint should be disposed of at one of the City's Household Hazardous Waste depots or by returning it to a retailer.  

Pet waste

The best way to dispose of pet waste is to flush it down the toilet, where it can be properly treated when it reaches the sewage plant. Cat litter can also be placed in your green bin. Otherwise, put it in your regular garbage as long as it is properly wrapped in absorbent paper and placed in a sealed, leak proof bag, mixed with your regular garbage. Quantities should be no more than 10 per cent of your garbage bag or can.  

Smoke alarms

Smoke alarms are not hazardous and can be placed in your regular garbage for collection. Smoke alarms are not recyclable. 


Should be recycled at participating retailers. For free disposal of used tires, visit greenmytires.ca