Important Blue Bin Reminders:
- All recyclables must be placed loose in an approved City of Ottawa blue bin to help with sorting at the recycling facility.
- Plastic bags should not be used to package recyclables. They cannot be opened by the automated sorting process at the recycling facility and the plastic bags get caught in the equipment.
- Clear/blue/biodegradable plastic bags are not accepted. Clean plastic grocery bags should be reused or brought to a Take it Back! partners.
- Your blue bin should not weigh more than 15 kg when full.
- Have a specific question about an item? Check the Waste Explorer.
What goes in your blue bin
Blue bin recyclable:
- Metal cans
- Soft drink cans
- Jar lids
- Aluminum containers (clean or food soiled)
- Aluminum foil (clean or food soiled)
- Empty paint cans with lids removed
- Empty aerosol cans (hairspray, paint, whipping cream)
- Spiral-wound canisters with metal ends (frozen concentrate cans, potato chip tube)
- Food and household containers # 1 to 7
- Take-out containers, bakery and produce containers (clam shells)
- Pails (remove metal handle)
- Planting trays
- Flower pots
- Single serve yogurt containers
- Clear plastic egg cartons
- Plastic bottles, jars and jugs
- Tubs and tub lids (yogurt, ice cream, margarine containers)
- Milk and juice cartons
- Drink boxes
- Soup boxes
Empty Alcohol Containers
Empty wine, beer and spirit containers greater than 100 ml purchased in Ontario must be returned, for refund at The Beer Store. Find your local return location at bagitback.ca.
Place these items in your regular garbage.
- Ceramics such as dishes, cups and pottery
- Other glass such as drinking glasses, window glass, light bulbs, and mirrors
- CFL bulbs (compact fluorescent) can be returned to a Take it Back! partner or a Household Hazardous Waste Depot
- Metal clothes hangers
- Scrap metal
- Chip bags
- Styrofoam containers and packaging
- All plastic bags
- Hard plastics such as dishes, cups, toys, make-up jars, laundry baskets
- Motor oil containers
Find out what happens to your recycling.
[ top ]