Marriage licences

The City of Ottawa offers civil marriage ceremonies at City Hall

Before you can get married in Ontario you must have a marriage licence. If you and your partner meet the criteria, visit the nearest Client Service Centre to obtain your marriage licence.

Office hours

Marriage licence application forms may be downloaded from the Ministry of Government Services Web site, or picked-up in person at any Client Service Centre.

Marriage licenses are issued Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm at: 

  • Ottawa City Hall, 110 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa, ON K1P 1J1

Marriage licenses are issued Monday through Friday from 8:30 am until 4 pm, unless otherwise stated, at the following Client Service Centres:

  • Orléans, 255 Centrum Blvd., Orléans, ON, K1E 3V8
  • Ben Franklin Place, 101 Centrepointe Dr., Nepean, ON K2G 5K7
  • Kanata Client Service Centre, 580 Terry Fox Drive, Kanata, ON K2L 4C2
  • Metcalfe, 8243 Victoria St., Metcalfe, ON K0A 2P0 (open Tuesdays only)
  • West Carleton, 5670 Carp Rd., Kinburn, ON K0A 2H0 (open Wednesdays only)
  • North Gower, 2155 Roger Stevens Dr., North Gower, ON KOA 2T0 (open Thursdays only)


Either partner can submit the  marriage application form in person but the form must include original signatures for both parties and be presented with two pieces of original valid identification for both parties. Copies will not be accepted. If any of your identification is in a language other than English or French, you must present it with an official translation of the document. The first piece of identification must be any of the following:

  • a government-issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificates
  • a valid passport*;
  • a record of immigrant landing;
  • a Canadian citizenship card.

The second piece of identification must be in the form of government-issued photo identification, including:

* If a valid passport is used as the first piece of identification, the second piece of identification must be a valid driver’s licence, a valid Ontario Photo Card or a BYID age-of-majority-card.
The City of Ottawa does not accept health or national identity cards as a form of photo identification.

Age requirements

Identification requirements and marriage eligibility depend on your age. Please note the following:

  • If you are 21 years of age or older, proof of identity as outlined above is required.
  • If you are 18 to 21 years of age, proof of identity in the form of a birth certificate is recommended as your first piece of identification. Any of the second pieces of government-issued photo identification described above must also be presented.
  • If you are 16 or 17 years of age, proof of identity in the form of a birth certificate is the only acceptable first piece of identification. Any of the second pieces of government issued photo identification described above must also be presented. Parental consent is also required. Please contact Client Service Centre staff by e-mail or call 3-1-1 (TTY: 613-580-2401) for further details.
  • A person under the age of 16 is not permitted to marry in the Province of Ontario.


The City of Ottawa issues marriage licences to all eligible couples. Same-sex couples have been receiving marriage licences since June 11, 2003, following the June 10, 2003 Ontario Court of Appeal decision making same-sex marriages legal in Ontario.


A marriage licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for three months after its issue date. If you plan to marry outside of the province or the country, be sure to verify the requirements for the appropriate jurisdiction.

Marriage after divorce

Divorced in Canada

If you were divorced in Canada, you must provide the original or a court-certified copy of your certificate of divorce, or a final decree or final judgment. Photocopies will not be accepted. A certified copy of your certificate of divorce may be obtained from the court office that granted the divorce. All documents will be returned.

Divorced Outside of Canada

An applicant whose former marriage was dissolved or annulled in a jurisdiction other than Canada must obtain authorization from the Minister of Government Services before a marriage licence may be issued. To obtain this authorization, the applicants or a lawyer representing them, must submit the following to:

Office of the Registrar General
189 Red River Road
PO Box 3000
Thunder Bay ON P7B 5W0

  1. A completed marriage licence application signed by both applicants.
  2. An original or court certified copy of the divorce decree or annulment (certified by the proper court officer in the jurisdiction the divorce/annulment was granted). If the decree if in a language other than English or French, include a translated copy together with an affidavit sworn by the translator.
  3. A Statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorce signed by both applicants. Blank statements are available from the local issuer of Marriage Licences.
  4. A legal opinion of an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulments should be recognized in the Province of Ontario. A sample legal opinion letter can be obtained from the office of the Registrar General by calling 1-807-343-7492 or by calling toll-free in Ontario at 1-800-461-2156. A sample letter will be faxed to your lawyer upon the lawyer’s request.


When applying for a marriage licence, you are required to certify information under oath. If you do not understand or are not able to read English or French, please bring an interpreter to assist you.


There are no limitations on citizenship or residency when applying for a marriage licence in Ontario.

Health analysis

Blood tests and medical certificates are not necessary for marriage licence application in Ontario.

Licence fee

The City of Ottawa charges a $155.30 (including HST) service fee for a marriage licence, which you can pay for by cash, cheque, Interac, Visa or MasterCard. Marriage licence fees are non-refundable.

Need more information?

For more information about marriage licences, contact Client Service Centre staff by e-mail or call
3-1-1 (TTY: 613-580-2401). To find out how to register your marriage or obtain a marriage certificate, visit Ontario's Ministry of Government Services or call 1-800-461-2156.