You need to obtain a building permit to relocate or demolish an existing building or structure. Your demolition application will be reviewed to ensure compliance with applicable law, including zoning By-Laws, once the demolition has been completed. The review will also identify any legislative or safety requirements that may need to be adhered to during or after the demolition of the structure.

Demolition guidelines

Your demolition permit application will only be considered if accompanied by plans, specifications and documentation as listed below.

The demolition of certain building types and interior partitions do not require a demolition permit. If you would like to discuss the work being undertaken and permit requirements, please call 3-1-1 or visit a City of Ottawa Client Service Centre to speak with a Building Official.

The property owner must obtain an encroachment permit, if necessary, prior to demolition. Please call the Right of Way Permits and Applications Section at 613-580-2424, extension 16000.

Wells and septic systems

Abandonment of a well shall be done in accordance with the Ontario Well Water Regulation #903. You can print a copy of the regulation from ServiceOntario’s For more information, call the Ministry of Environment Public Information Centre at 1-800-565-4923. 

Abandoning a septic system requires pumping out of the tank, filling it with sand and capping it.

Residential units

Demolition permits for residential units in the former City of Ottawa only must be approved by the City Council when there is no proposed replacement building or when a dwelling is lost to conversion to a non-residential use. If, after a partial demolition, a dwelling unit remains inhabitable, it is excluded from Demolition Control. Pick up an application form at any Client Service Centre or print the form from Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and House website. Discuss your proposal with Planning and Growth Management Branch staff before applying.

Submission requirements

Demolition Permit Package [ PDF - 60.6 KB ]

Submission requirements are the responsibility of the owner or an authorized agent and include, but are not limited to, the following: 

  1. Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish
  2. Application Fee: see fee schedule for more information
  3. Demolition Permit Application Guidelines completed in full
  4. Demolition Review Form completed in full
  5. Demolition Permit Clearances Form completed and authorized by each of the appropriate authorities, must be submitted pursuant to Section 4(3)(b) of Building By-Law 2005-303
  6. A current Plan of Survey or Site Plan (fully dimensioned) indicating:
    1. dimensions of property and lot size; and
    2. location of building(s) proposed to be demolished and all other buildings on the lot

Property tax adjustment

Tax adjustments are not automatic. You must apply for a property tax adjustment after the demolition has occurred. Applications must be filed with the City prior to February 28th of the year following the demolition. Contact the Assessment Unit, City of Ottawa, 613-580-2424 ext. 13126, for details regarding the application process. Section 357 of The Municipal Act provides authority to apply for an adjustment of property tax when a demolition has occurred.