Skip to main content

Event and lottery licensing

Event and lottery licensing - Overview

If you’re planning to hold a street party or dance, festival, sports event or fundraising event on City property, you will need to make sure you have the necessary permits and licences, especially if you are serving alcohol, selling lottery tickets or closing a street.

Holding an event on City property

Find out more by checking out Your Planning Guide for Hosting an Event [ PDF - 149 KB ]. Find out about obtaining a Special Occasion Permit from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO). 

Holding a street party

Check out the regulations for block parties and special events on city streets (By-Law No. 2001-260). 

Obtaining a charitable lottery licence

If you’re an eligible charitable or religious organization, you may be able to raise funds through provincially or municipally licensed lottery events. The AGCO administers the lottery licensing program in the province, and municipalities and the AGCO are responsible for issuing lottery licences to eligible charitable and religious organizations. 

Information on gaming lottery licensing is available from the AGCO at Charitable Lottery Licensing.

To speak with a By-law Services Assistant, call the Business Licensing Centre at 613-580-2424 ext. 12735 or visit the licensing desk at: 

735 Industrial Avenue
2nd Floor
Ottawa, ON K1G 5J1  

Business hours are Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (during the summer) and 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (after Labour Day).