Plans and specifications to establish, build, change a food premises, or significantly renovate, require approval by a Public Health Inspector. The layout of your establishment is important for good sanitation. Poorly arranged equipment may create health hazards and affect the economic viability of your operation.
Good planning should allow for the smooth and orderly flow of work from receiving to serving and the return of soiled dishes and utensils to the dishwashing area. The design, construction and installation of food service equipment are important to the sanitary operation of a food premises. Some food equipment suppliers and architects will advise and assist you in preparing plans and developing layouts.
- You must be able to provide an adequate supply of hot and cold water under pressure.
- The water supply must be potable (safe to drink).
- The Rideau Valley Conservation Authority must approve all sewage disposal systems in the areas of the City of Ottawa not connected to the municipal sewer system.
Describe your method of garbage disposal and ensure that you provide:
- Sufficient, suitable enclosed areas for storage of garbage, grease and recyclables.
- Sufficient outdoor garbage receptacles, especially if providing “take out” service.
Three copies of plans must be submitted (preferably to scale) of your facility showing the location of all rooms within the facility. This includes food preparation, storage, service areas, washrooms, and locker areas. This must be accompanied by the attached “Food Premises Application Form”.
Approval of plans by the Public Health Inspector does not mean that zoning, building, or other requirements by other authorities have been met.
Layout of Facility
- Produce a diagram of all rooms. See example on page 5.
- Plan a good flow pattern for handling foods from receiving through to the serving of foods.
- Ensure adequate refrigeration and storage space to handle the volume of foods expected.
- Ensure adequate separation between dirty/clean dishes, and raw/ cooked or ready-to-eat foods.
- Living quarters must be completely separate from any room where food is prepared, served or stored.
- At least one sanitary facility for each sex is required to comply with the R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 562 Amended to O. Reg. 502/01 (FOOD PREMISES)
- The City of Ottawa, Building Services Branch determines the number of washrooms required within your facility beyond this minimum requirement.
- All hand wash sinks must have a supply of hot and cold running water, liquid hand soap and paper towels.
Floors, Walls and Ceilings
- Describe the type of finish you plan to use on the floors, walls and ceilings throughout your establishment.
- All finishes must be smooth, non-absorbent and easily cleanable in all areas where:
- food is prepared, served or stored
- utensils are washed
- washrooms are located
- Base junctions where the wall and floor meet should be coved, for ease of cleaning.
- Every premises should have a utility sink for equipment such as floor mops.
- Adequate space is required for the storage of cleaners and cleaning equipment, and must be separate from food preparation and food storage areas.
Show location of all equipment within the food premises:
- List all planned equipment.
- A three-compartment sink or commercial type dishwasher is required for multi-service dishwashing. (The sinks are to be utilized for dishwashing only).
- Ensure the sinks are large enough to clean your largest pots and/or pans.
- Premises which utilize single-service items (e.g. Take Outs) are required to have two (2) sinks for utensil washing.
- Arrange and install equipment to provide easy access for cleaning
- Provide conveniently located hand wash sinks in food preparation areas. Hand sinks will be utilized for handwashing only.
- Additional sinks are recommended for the washing of fruits and vegetables in preparation of food items.
- Additional hand wash sinks may be required in bar areas or wait stations. Consult a Public Health Inspector.
7. Work Table
2. Range and Oven
8. Pan Rack
9. Vegetable Sink
15. Clean Dishes
4. Canopy Hood
10. Salad Table
16. Coffee Maker
5. Handwashing Sink
11. Under Counter Refrigeration
17. Hand Sink
6. Reach-In Refrigerator
12. Utility Sink
18. Wait Station