The Food Handler Certification program is an excellent opportunity to learn the safe way to prepare foods to reduce the risk of foodborne illness. The course is designed to meet the requirements of the Health Protection and Promotion Act. This one-day course is will meet the needs of anyone who works in a restaurant, take-out, catering, mobile food premise or who works directly with high-risk groups like children or the elderly. The course includes the exam.
Health Canada estimates that 11 million Canadians suffer from foodborne illnesses each year.
Most cases of foodborne illness can be prevented by using proper food handling practices.
- Topics include:
- Role of the public health inspector
- Public health legislation
- Understanding foodborne illnesses
- Safe food handling
- Introduction to Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP)
- Pest control
- Emergency response
- Have a strong knowledge of safe food handling practices, including the maintenance of food premises and equipment and the role of Ottawa Public Health
- Be able to use safe food handling practices
- Earn a provincially recognized certificate upon passing the exam that is valid for five years
- $45.25 per person taxes included covers the cost of the course, manual and certification examination at a pre-scheduled City of Ottawa location
- Exam-only sessions are also available for $11.50 taxes included. Please check offered dates.
- Replacement of a lost or misplaced certificate costs $11.50 taxes included
- Non-residents will be charged an additional 25 per cent per person
- Withdrawals or refunds - For withdrawals or a credit on your account visit a City of Ottawa Client Service Centre. Course fees are non refundable and non transferable to other participants.
Alert: Candidates that would like to challenge the Food Handler Certification Exam must show proof of completion from one of the criteria listed below, within the last year:
- City of Ottawa: Food Handler Course – Re-challenging the exam
- On line Course – “In Goods Hands”
- Food Safety Training – via: high school, college, university education
- TrainCan or Serve Safe
- National Food Safety Training Program
Schedule and program codes
- Register online: You will need to enter the barcode or program code for the date you wish to attend. Have your credit card number and expiry date ready (Visa or MasterCard). You will need your Family PIN number and Client Barcode.
If you require both Client Barcodes and Family PIN numbers, please call 613-580-2588, Monday to Friday 7 am to 7 pm (with the exception of statutory holidays) and follow the prompts.
- Touch Tone Telephone: Call 613-580-2588. Please have your credit card number and expiry date ready (Visa or MasterCard). You will need your Family PIN number and Client Barcode. Receipts are available upon request.
- In person: Visit a City of Ottawa Client Service Centre. Payments accepted by cash, cheque (made payable to the City of Ottawa), debit or credit card (Visa or MasterCard).
If you have any questions about the course please call 613-580-6744, ext. 26160 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
[ top ]