Ottawa Public Health offers a variety of options for prenatal education to meet the needs of Ottawa residents. All classes/programs are facilitated by a Public Health Nurse. Please click on the links below to find the prenatal class/program for you.
In person prenatal classes
- Cost: Free
- Language: English and French
- Location: Ottawa Public Libraries including Ruth E. Dickinson (Barrhaven), Nepean/Centrepointe, Alta Vista, Cumberland, St-Laurent and Hazeldean.
- Duration: 1 class per week for three weeks on weekday evenings. Occasional Saturday morning classes also available
Topics covered include:
- Session 1: Birth Basics – Confidence and Comfort
- Session 2: Breastfeeding Basics – Tips and Techniques
- Session 3: Baby Basics – Preparing for Parenthood
Registration: To register you will need a valid Ottawa Public Library card. Please visit the Ottawa Public Library website at: http://biblioottawalibrary.ca/. Click on “Programs” and then choose “Prenatal Classes” from the “Event type” drop down menu and click submit.
Prenatal classes/program for expectant parents in need of extra support. Meet with other expectant parents and a public health nurse to learn about:
- Staying healthy during pregnancy
- Coping with labour and birth
- Caring for your baby
- Community resources
Young parents prenatal classes (up to 25 years of age)
- Cost: Free
- Language: English
- Location: St-Mary’s Outreach Centre and Bethany Hope Centre
- Duration: 1 class per week for eight weeks
- Registration: To register for classes please call your preferred location.
- St. Mary’s Young Parent Outreach Centre : 613-749-2491, ext:706
- Bethany Hope Centre : 613-725-1733
Pregnancy Circle (Chinese)
- Cost: Free
- Language: Chinese
- Location: Somerset West Community Health Centre
- Duration: 1 class per week for six weeks on weekday evenings
- Registration: Please contact the Somerset West Community Health Centre to register at 613-238-8210.
Other Pregnancy Circles
- Cost: Free
- Language: see below
- Location: Programs are available at the following locations, call for more information:
- Carlington Community Health Centre (English)
900 Merivale Road
- Centretown Community Health Centre (English)
420 Cooper Street
- Overbrook-Forbes Community Resource Centre (Bilingual)
225 Donald Street, Unit 120
- Vanier Community Service Centre (en français)
290 rue Dupuis
- Wabano Centre for Aboriginal Health (English)
299 Montreal Road
613-748-0657, ext. 237
- Duration: 1 class per week for six to twelve weeks on weekday afternoons or evenings*
- Registration: To register please call your preferred location from those listed above.
*Childcare, bus tickets and healthy snacks available at some locations
For general information please call the Ottawa Public Health Information Line to speak with a public health nurse: 613-580-6744 (TTY: 613-580-9656).
Other services offered by the City of Ottawa
For information about other services offered by the City of Ottawa for expectant or new parents, please contact the Ottawa Public Health Information Line to speak with a public health nurse. We may be able to help guide you to classes that would best suit your needs. Tel: 613-580-6744 (TTY: 613-580-9656) or 311 (e.g.: Parks and Recreation programs, and child care subsidy).
Prenatal classes offered by other agencies
Prenatal classes are a great way to learn information about you and your baby. You can also meet other soon-to-be parents.
There are many prenatal classes to choose from. Some classes are free and some have a cost. Locations, times and the topics are different for each class.
For more information, please contact the Community Information Centre of Ottawa.