Tenant rights

Property Standards

Tenants who live in housing in need of repair should first work with their landlord or property management company. Comments to the landlord or property manager should be put in writing and the tenant should keep a copy.

After a reasonable amount of time, if the repairs have not been carried out, tenants should contact Property Standards at the City of Ottawa. The City inspects buildings and properties when there is a complaint concerning the interior or exterior condition and the safety of residents.

Property standards inspections ensure and enforce compliance with City by-laws regulating property maintenance and occupancy standards. Property Standards may be contacted by calling 3-1-1 (TTY: 613-580-2401).

Tenant supports

If you live in Ottawa and are searching for rental housing, have a conflict with your landlord or are at risk of eviction, there are several organizations that can provide support and guidance.

Housing Help

  • A one-stop, drop-in service for all Ottawa residents who have housing problems or questions www.housinghelp.on.ca
    309 Cooper Street, suite 502
    Ottawa, ON K2P 0G5
    Tel. 613-563-4532
    Fax 613-563-8019


  • A charitable organization devoted to assisting low-income individuals and families to find and maintain safe, affordable and adequate rental housingwww.action-logement.ca
    261 Montreal Rd.
    Ottawa, Ontario K1L 8C7
    Tel. 613-562-8219
    Fax 613-241-1526

Community Legal Services

Landlord and Tenant Board

The Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) sets the rules for most residential rental housing in Ontario. The Landlord and Tenant Board provides information about the RTA and resolves disputes between residential landlords and tenants. The former Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal is now known as the Landlord and Tenant Board.

For more information about the rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords, please visit the Landlord and Tenant Board website.

Discrimination and human rights

For information about housing and discrimination, please contact:

Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation
200 MacLaren Street, 2nd Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K2P 0L6
Tel. 1-800-263-1139, ext. 22

E-mail : intake@equalityrights.org

CMHC Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program (RRAP)

RRAP is a federal program administered by Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), which provide grants or loans to support the renovation and repair of housing, which does not meet basic health and safety standards, occupied by low income households. Typical examples are repairs to heating systems, electrical, plumbing and structural problems. RRAP includes a number of renovation programs available to homeowners, landlords of affordable rental housing and rooming houses and persons converting non-residential properties. RRAP also offers assistance to persons with disabilities where accessibility modifications are required.

For more information about this program contact CMHC: