April 10, 2016
City road crews are preparing to plow and salt roads and sidewalks at the onset of winter weather for Ottawa Monday.
Residents are asked to exercise caution if driving, cycling or walking and to allow extra time for their commutes during the winter weather event.
For weather updates, please visit Environment Canada.
You can take advantage of the "do-it-yourself" grit boxes at various locations across the city. They are there so you can spread the grit on slippery spots on sidewalks and other problem areas. For grit box locations, visit ottawa.ca.
Residents who require a service from the City due to the weather are encouraged to submit a service request through ServiceOttawa at ottawa.ca.
Snow Plowing Operations
There are two phases in the City’s snow plowing operations during snow storms:
- When the snowfall begins, City’s crews first concentrate on Highway 174, transitway, and major arterial and collector roads.
- The City will inform residents if a parking ban is placed into effect via ottawa.ca. Residents can also sign up for an e-alert.
- Phase Two is only initiated ifthere is7 cm or more of snow accumulation.
- The plowing of other local residential roads begins once the priority transportation network is in good condition. This frees up resources for the remaining roads.
- The Where is My Plow tool, which provides time estimates for plowing on all other local roads, is available only during this phase.