Located at 774 Echo Drive in Ottawa, this five-story pale yellow brick building, which overlooks the Rideau Canal, is admired and recognized as an Ottawa architectural landmark. Originally constructed in 1921, this building was designed by Canadian architect Alphonse Contant. It is a classically inspired structure organized around a central courtyard and features simple architectural details such as alternating square- and round-headed windows and a centrally-placed belfry.
The construction of this building was commissioned by a group of cloistered French-Canadian nuns known as The Sister Adorers of the Precious Blood. These women moved into the building in 1923 and lived onsite until the building was sold to the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in 1991.
Although the building has been subject to extensive interior modifications over the years, the Royal College has given special attention to honouring and preserving the original history, beauty, and architectural integrity of the building. The interior courtyard has since been converted into a glass-topped atrium. The main public chapel has been converted into the Royal College’s Council Room and the nuns’ private chapel was refurbished into the Roddick Room. Both rooms now host onsite meetings and special events but still feature the original stained glass and impressive column-supported vaulted ceiling.
In 1998, the building was designated a heritage property by the City of Ottawa.
Location and contact
In-person visiting hours
This building is only available to tour virtually.
Virtual and 3D Tours
*Some content may not be available in both official languages.
Amenities and features
- Virtual only