Two congregations in Ottawa South, Methodist and Presbyterian, united to build Southminster United Church in 1931 on the site of the former Methodist Church. The church bears witness to the thousands of people who have entered its doors during the Depression years, the Second World War, the post-war boom, and succeeding decades that mark the social, political, cultural and economic changes of the city, country, and world.
Designed by renowned Ottawa architect, J. Albert Ewart in the English Gothic Revival style, this landmark building along Bank Street overlooks the Rideau Canal. The walls were built using Nepean sandstone and the roof was made of slate. The interior sanctuary has a high vaulted ceiling and a heritage Casavant Frères organ. With more than 2000 pipes, the organ proudly reverberates with sound on Sundays and at other times during celebrations, concerts and special activities throughout the year.
Southminster sees its mission as threefold: as a Worshipping Community, an Arts Hub, and a Community Gathering space, welcoming approximately 70,000 visits a year from diverse groups.
Location and contact
In-person visiting hours
*Follow building health protocols.
- Saturday, June 3 202310am to 4pm
Virtual and 3D Tours
This building does not offer virtual or 3D tours.
Amenities and features
- Public washrooms
- Accessible access
- Family friendly
- OC transpo nearby