Trinity Anglican Church

Trinity Anglican Church has occupied the corner of Cameron Avenue and Bank Street in Old Ottawa South since 1879. It was the first Anglican church in this area, established to serve small hamlets south of Ottawa in the horse-and-buggy days. Trinity quickly became a vital community hub.

With a growing congregation after World War I, a larger building to replace the original brick church was planned for the same property. Prominent Ottawa architect L. Fennings Taylor designed a large cut-stone and red-brick structure on a concrete and cut-stone foundation. Though a steeple was included in this design, none was ever constructed. Trinity’s new building opened for Easter in 1926. Aside from some furnishings, all that was transferred from the 1879 church to the 1926 building was a beautiful eight-foot-diameter Rose Window.

A devastating fire in March 1947 destroyed the 1926 church, including the Rose Window. During rebuilding, fireproof materials such as concrete were used and structural improvements incorporated. The reopening service was held in September 1948. To mark Trinity’s eightieth anniversary in 1956, an addition was planned by architect John Tedham (with Burgess-McLean). This expansion was dedicated in May 1958.

Among Trinity’s stained-glass windows is the beautiful Great Resurrection Window installed behind the altar in 1973. This window displays a lasting connection to its benefactor. The solid oak pipe organ, built by Casavant Frères and dedicated in 1963, takes full advantage of the building’s amazing acoustics. Trinity’s exterior is animated by colour and motion. On the Bank Street wall, a dramatic mural was created by a team of Indigenous artists in response to the 2015 report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. Youngsters from our co-housed daycare centre add vibrancy as they romp in the playground located near the site of the 1879 church. We look forward to welcoming visitors!

Location and contact

In-person visiting hours

*Follow building health protocols.

  • Saturday, June 3 2023
    10am to 4pm

Virtual and 3D Tours

This building does not offer virtual or 3D tours.

Architecture

Architect/Builder on record
L. Fennings Taylor
Construction date or date range
1926
Category
Religious buildings

Amenities and features

  • Public washrooms
  • Accessible access
  • Free parking
  • Bike parking
  • Family friendly
  • Guided tours
  • OC transpo nearby