The Yellow Bag program is a convenient and affordable garbage and waste diversion service for small businesses in Ottawa that generate smaller amounts of garbage.
Curbside garbage is collected every two weeks. Maximize your recycling and participate in the Green Bin program to minimize the amount of garbage you produce.
Check your Collection Calendar to confirm your collection schedule.
What are the benefits of the Yellow Bag program to your business?
- The program provides an affordable option for the collection of your business recycling, organics and garbage waste
- It reduces garbage generated from your business with a focus on blue and black box recycling
- It lowers your waste disposal costs
- It leads to an increase in organics waste diversion through the Green Bin
- It helps our community save valuable landfill space and
- It shows your customers that you are committed to the environment.
Who can participate in the Yellow Bag program?
- Any Ottawa business that generates sixteen bags or less of garbage every two weeks can participate and
- If your business is located in a building with multiple business tenants, all businesses in the building must be Yellow Bag program participants and all of the businesses together cannot generate more than sixteen bags of garbage every two weeks
- Anyone can register on behalf of your building
What is the cost?
- Yellow bags are sold in packages of four for $15.00, only $3.75 per bag (effective January 1, 2017)
- No additional fee is charged to have recycling and green bin material collected
Where can I get yellow bags?
The yellow bags are available at participating Home Hardware retailers and your local City of Ottawa Client Service Centre
Here are the Home Hardware retailers where you can purchase your Yellow Bags
|Yellow Bag Retailers||Location|
|Trudel Home Hardware||140 George St, (ByWard Market)|
|Morris Home Hardware||1226 Wellington St|
|Heron Home Hardware||1593 Bank St (@ Heron Rd)|
|Elmvale Home Hardware||1910 St. Laurent Blvd (Elmvale Shopping Centre)|
|Caron Home Hardware||2781 Colonial Rd - Sarsfield|
|Trudel Home Hardware||329 March Rd – Kanata|
|Richmond Home Hardware||6379 Perth Rd - Richmond|
|Capital Home Hardware||736 Bank St - (Glebe)|
|Deka Home Hardware||545 Donald B. Munroe - Carp|
|Manotick Home Hardware||Manotick Mews|
|Leitrim Home Hardware||4836 Bank St|
How does the Yellow Bag program work?
- Complete the Yellow Bag Registration Form online or at any Client Service Centre
- You may also contact 3-1-1 to have to the registration form faxed to you
- If you are approved, the City will contact you
- You will then receive a free blue and black box and green bin and a list of locations where you can buy yellow bags
- The yellow bags are collected bi-weekly on your blue box collection day. Check your waste collection calendar to confirm your collection day.
- You can set out 15 containers of blue or black box materials during the week that each recycling stream is collected; and
- You can set out a maximum of three green bins every week
How to set out your garbage and recyclables?
- Place at the curb before 7 a.m. on your collection day (Check the waste collection calendar to confirm your collection day)
- Place garbage in yellow bag (not more than 15 kg or 33 lbs per bag). Limit is 16 yellow bags every two weeks
- If your business is part of the special consideration program (diapers and incontinence products collection), yellow bags must be used
The Yellow Bag program does not accept:
- Construction, renovation wastes from building alterations
- Hazardous waste
- Liquid wastes such as cooking oils and grease trap wastes
If you have a legally binding waste collection contract with another company, you may be subject to cancellation penalties by participating in this program. Be sure to check with your service provider.