The Ottawa Paramedic Service Headquarters is a 100,000 sq ft, state-of-the-art facility located in the Ottawa South Business Park. It provides a central location from which to deploy paramedics and consolidate all paramedic training at a single facility. In addition, the Headquarters offers centralized processing of all emergency vehicles and equipment along with improved facilities for public training programs such as Public Access Defibrillation and CPR. The construction company, Forum, has built the facility for a firm price of $19.9 million, exclusive of increases in steel prices. With a host of energy-saving features, the Ottawa Paramedic Service Headquarters is the City of Ottawa’s first facility to be LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified, with many more energy-efficient projects in progress.
Benefits of the Ottawa Paramedic Service Headquarters to residents
- This Public-Private Partnership (P3) ensured the timely construction of the City’s paramedic service headquarters and removed the operational risks associated with the short-term leasing situation at the previous facility at 530 Tremblay Rd.
- The new facility improves efficiencies of the paramedic service through the consolidation of services and staff formerly located at 1887 St. Joseph Blvd. and 530 Tremblay Rd.
- The P3 process that secured this partnership was competitive and ensured that the City obtained excellent value for money.
- The partner was committed to deliver the building for a firm price, thereby accepting any risks associated with the design and construction of the facility.
- By providing a loan guarantee for the long-term debt, the City ensured that it obtained the lowest possible borrowing rates from the private sector, at rates comparable to what the City could obtain directly.
- The facility built through this P3 supports public safety, and the health and well-being of residents and visitors through the provision of efficient and effective emergency response services.
The Ottawa Paramedic Service Headquarters is located at 2465 Don Reid Drive in the Ottawa South Business Park. View a map to the Paramedics Headquarters.
The process leading up to the completion of the Ottawa Paramedic Service Headquarters began in 2002 when staff at the City of Ottawa defined a need for a consolidated emergency medical services headquarters. City Council approved staff’s recommendation for a new facility in August 2003, and the search for a private-sector partner was launched. In June 2004, after a competitive bidding process, Forum Leasehold Partners was awarded the contract to build the facility, and construction was launched in September 2004. The new Ottawa Paramedic Service Headquarters was ready for occupancy in December 2005.
The Ottawa Paramedic Service Headquarters was created as a result of a Public-Private Partnership between the City of Ottawa and Forum Leasehold Partners Inc. Forum was selected as a result of a competitive bidding process for the project in which four firms were short listed to receive the Request for Proposal (RFP). The proposal received from Forum Leasehold Partners Inc., in association with Westeinde Construction, an Aecon Alliance Company, and Trammell Crow Services Canada Ltd., was determined to provide the best value to the City under a Public-Private Partnership.
Forum is a Toronto-based company that acquires and develops single-tenant properties. The company has acquired a portfolio valued at over $100,000,000. Forum investment criteria include a wide range of asset types, credit quality, and lease types. Forum invests in a full range of transaction types including sale-leasebacks, Public Private Partnerships (P3s) and design-build-lease projects. Learn more about Forum by visiting the Forum Web site (link is external).
Contact the Ottawa Paramedic Service Headquarters
Customer Service Line at 613-580-4771.
Please note phone lines are monitored during standard office hours Monday to Friday. For after-hours information and non-emergency support or assistance please dial 3-1-1 and a City of Ottawa client service agent will assist you. Call 9-1-1 for emergencies only.