For 2021 only, the Vending on the right of way program allows businesses to expand on the road allowance to assist businesses with physical distancing requirements. A retail pop up is a small retail expansion onto the sidewalk immediately in front of the store. A retail patio is a larger expansion into an available on-street parking space in front of the storefront.
Issuance of a vending on the right of way permit is conditional upon the following requirements
- Payment of the Permit fee
- Proof of Commercial Liability Insurance
Are you planning to open a restaurant, bakery, café, butcher shop or another type of food establishment? The City of Ottawa has resources to assist business owners who are starting to plan and operate a new food establishment, including the Business Ambassador Service and the online Food Premises Application tool available on My ServiceOttawa.
- Allowing at all times the required minimum unencumbered sidewalk width of 2.0 metres
- Not obstructing or interfering with public travel, any public service, or maintenance operations
- For retail patios:
- On a street with a speed limit less than 50 km/hr or less
- If located in an existing on-street parking space subject to time limits, may affect operating hours
- $68.00 retail pop up annual processing fee
- $440 ($68.00 plus a $372 circulation fee) retail patio annual processing fee
- 10 business days