Skip to main content

Planning an outdoor special event

Special Events

Event Central works with event organizers to ensure special events are successful and contribute positively to the community. The special event process is governed by the Special Events on Public and Private Property By-law No. 2013-232 and the City Right-of-Way By-law No. 2001-260.

Conditional approval of the event location must be obtained from the property owner prior to applying for a special event.

Event Central

  • Assists in the coordination of all city services involved with special events
  • Provides feedback on emergency preparedness and site and/or route plans in advance to mitigate the event's possible impact

When to apply

The following criteria are used to determine if an event is required to complete the Application for Special Events:

  • Expected attendance of at least 500 persons at any one time;
    • Examples include: fairs, festivals, competitions, or beach events;
  • Any event that uses the City Right-of-Way (streets/sidewalks);
    • Examples include: parades, processions, runs, walks, or bikes

For smaller events (such as block parties, demonstrations/marches, or street murals) please complete the corresponding application:

Application timelines

30 days

60 days

90 days

  • Alcohol sale and/or service
  • Use and/or closure of a roadway/highway
  • Occurs on Victoria Day, Canada Day, Remembrance Day, New Year's Eve, or in alignment with an event of known significance

Should a special event not include any of the factors listed in paragraphs (1) to (3), the application deadline shall be 30 days.

Once the application form is complete please submit the application and any supporting documents to Event Central. If the event will have over 500 attendees a draft Emergency plan and Site plan and/or Route plan are required.

Event Guide and templates

Event Central has developed several tools in collaboration with City Services to assist you in completing your application and support documents.

Serving alcohol at events

Events occurring on City property must meet the conditions of the Municipal Alcohol Policy. Please consult the Guide to Serving Alcohol at your Event for more information.

To obtain a permit to sell and/or serve alcohol at your event, please consult the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO).

For outdoor events, the AGCO will require the applicant to provide notification to local authorities such as police, fire, building code and public health departments. To notify the municipality that you will be serving alcohol outdoors, please complete and submit the online notification form.

If the event is open to the public and the applicant is neither a registered charity nor non-profit organisation, a Letter of Municipal Significance is required to obtain a Special Occasion Permit. For inquires, please contact Event Central.

Contact Event Central

If you are interested in planning an event but still have questions please contact us at:

Event Central
City of Ottawa
101 Centrepointe Dr
Ottawa, ON K2G 5K7

613-580-2424 ext. 14613