Development proposal overview
On February 8, 2017, Ottawa City Council approved 557 Wellington Street as the site for the new Ottawa Central Library.
The City of Ottawa’s Corporate Real Estate Office and the National Capital Commission submitted Official Plan Amendment and Zoning By-law Amendment applications to the Planning, Infrastructure and Economic Development Department for review. The applications are to permit mixed-use development generally in line with:
- The Escarpment Area District Plan at 557 and 584 Wellington Street and 550 Albert Street;
- The Central Area, as designated in the Official Plan, as the central place in the region for employment and shopping while also allowing residential, cultural and entertainment uses; and
- Transit Oriented Development objectives for mixed use development centred at rapid transit stations.
A library is a permitted use under the mixed-use designation.
The applications include a concept of mixed-use buildings with heights up to 83 metres, including a 40-metre-tall library.
Application review process and timelines
- Initial public comment period (28 days): February 12 to March 15, 2018
- Issue resolution / committee report preparation: Spring 2018
- Planning Committee and City Council meetings: Late Spring 2018
- Appeal period (20 days): Summer 2018
The file lead will notify individuals on the notification list of all meeting dates and decisions. Please contact Andrew McCreight to be added to the notification list.
Official Plan Amendment
The proposed Official Plan Amendment involves changes to the policies associated with the Lebreton Flats character area of the Central Area Secondary Plan. The amendment includes designating 557 and 584 Wellington Street and 550 Albert Street from residential to mixed-use and increasing the maximum building heights from six and eight storeys to a built form that will allow a maximum height of 83 metres (25 storeys) at 584 Wellington Street and 40 metres at 557 Wellington Street.
For detailed information about the amendment, please read the application summary and Planning Rationale and Design Brief.
Learn more about the Official Plan amendment process.
Zoning By-law Amendment
The property at 557 Wellington Street is currently zoned residential and allows for buildings up to 20 metres in height. The property at 584 Wellington Street currently extends over three different zones that permit different uses and maximum building heights of 20, 25 and 33 metres.
The zoning by-law amendment application will amend Zoning By-law 2008-250 to:
- Permit a range of residential, commercial and institutional uses at 557, 584 and part of 587 Wellington Street
- Increase the maximum building height from 20 metres to 40 metres at 557 Wellington Street and
- Increase the maximum building height from 20, 25 and 33 metres to 83 metres at 584 and part of 587 Wellington Street
The zoning by-law amendment does not apply to 550 Albert Street.
Learn more about the zoning by-law amendment process. For detailed information about the amendment, please read the application summary and Planning Rationale and Design Brief.
Future planning applications
Before the development can proceed, the applicant must submit a Site Plan Control application to the City for approval. The public will be notified when an application is submitted and will have an opportunity to comment on aspects of the site like the building massing and design, public realm and landscaping, and pedestrian amenity spaces.
Tell us what you think!
You can view all the plans and studies that the Planning, Infrastructure and Economic Development has received as part of these applications on the Development Application Search Tool.
Please submit comments on the applications to the file lead, Andrew McCreight, by Thursday, March 15. Review the application summary and Planning Rationale and Design Brief to learn more about the proposed amendments and submit relevant comments.
You may provide feedback on the applications until the Planning Committee and Council meetings. The file lead will notify individuals on the notification list of all meeting dates and decisions by email. Please email Andrew.McCreight@ottawa.ca to be added to the notification list.
For more information, please contact the file lead:Andrew McCreight, Planner II
Development Review – Central
Planning, Infrastructure and Economic Development
Tel.: 613-580-2424, ext. 22568