This site uses JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript in your Browser and reload the page to view the full site.

Community supports, healthcare & recreation

Home Support Services

Home Support Services provide help with light housekeeping to eligible low-income residents who have a medical need and who have little or no supports in the community. Light housekeeping may include:  floors, bathrooms, laundry, kitchen and light dusting.

Who can get Home Support Services?

  • Your income must be below the “low income cut-off” or you are in receipt of social assistance
  • You have a documented medical reason that prevents you from doing homemaking tasks on your own
  • You have little or no support to help you with housekeeping tasks. For example, you live alone and have no family close by

Apply for Home Support Services

Call 3-1-1 between 8:45 am and 4 pm

  • Select 1 for service in English or 2 for service in French
  • Select 4 for Social Services
  • TTY Line 1-800-855-0511

Eligibility will be assessed during a telephone interview followed with a home visit by a case worker.  

For more information, e-mail

Get help clearing snow

Need help clearing your driveway and/or walkway during the winter?

The Snow Go Program can help you! This program is divided into two parts to match your individual needs to the appropriate service.  The two programs are as follows: 

  • The Snow Go Program provides a matching service for seniors and people with disabilities looking to hire an individual or contractor to clear snow from private driveways and walkways.  Residents who participate in this program are responsible for paying the individual or contractor removing the snow.
  • The Snow Go Assist Program provides financial assistance to eligible low-income seniors or persons with disabilities looking to hire an individual or contractor to clear snow from private driveways and walkways.  Approved participants may be reimbursed for 50 % of the cost of snow clearing per event, up to a seasonal maximum of $250.  Rural applicants who have excessively high cost of snow removal, as defined by staff, are eligible up to 50% of the cost of snow clearing for their private driveways and walkways per event, up to a maximum of $450 per Term.
Community support agency Geographic area Serves postal codes Phone Name - email / website
Centre de service Guigues Entire city area for Francophone residents City-wide 613-241-1266 ext. 457

Guillaume Gervais

The Glebe Centre Serving the Glebe, Old Ottawa East, Old Ottawa South, Carleton Heights, Heron Park, Riverside Park and West Hunt Club K1G (part), K1H (part), K1S, K1V (part), K2C (part)

613- 230-5730, ext. 327

Kirsten O'Brien

The Olde Forge Community Resource Centre Serving between the Ottawa River and Baseline Road, Woodroffe Avenue north of the Queensway and Clyde Avenue south of the Queensway K2B, K2C (part) 613-829-9777

Elizabeth Parcher

Ottawa West Community Support Serving between the Ottawa River and Baseline Road, east of Woodroffe Avenue and west of Preston Street K1Y, K1Z, K2A, K2C (part) 613-728-6016 ext. 275

Mark Jenkins

South-East Ottawa Community Health Centre Serving between Industrial Avenue and Hunt Club Road between St. Laurent Blvd and Bank Street K1B (part), K1G (part), K1H (part), K1V (part) 613-737-5115 ext. 2375

Camila Saavedra Ouellette

The Good Companions Serving between the Queensway and the Ottawa River, between Blair Rd. and Preston Street, includes the Avenues K1G (part), K1K, K1L, K1M, K1N, K1P, K1R, K2P 613-236-0428 ext. 2250

Katie Yedynak

Eastern Ottawa Resource Centre Serving Eastern Ottawa including Cumberland and Gloucester K1B (part), K1C, K1E, K1J, K1T, K1W, K2G, K4A, K4B, K4C, K4R, K0A (part) 613-741-6025 ext. 322

Annie Parisien

Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre Serving west of Fisher Avenue, south of Baseline Road including Bells Corners, Barrhaven, Kanata, Carp, West Carleton, Goulbourn and Richmond. K2E, K2G, K2H, K2J, K2K, K2L, K2M, K2R, K2S, K2T, K2V, K2W, KOA (part) 613-591-3686 ext. 315

Dee Machum

Rural Ottawa South Support Services (ROSSS) Serving Osgoode & Rideau-Goulbourn Wards. Includes Manotick and North Gower. K1X, K4M, K4P, K0A (part) 613-692-4697ext. 228

Della Hart

Snow Go Assist Program

The Snow Go Assist Program is a program that provides financial assistance to eligible low-income seniors and people with disabilities to pay for a portion of their snow removal costs.

Funding levels

Approved participants may be reimbursed up to 50 per cent of the cost of snow clearing per event, up to a seasonal maximum of $250. Rural applicants who have excessively high cost of snow removal, as defined by staff, are eligible up to 50% of the cost of snow and ice clearing for their private driveways and walkways per event, up to a maximum of $450 per term. . The program is on a first come first served basis.  Agencies have the ability to limit funds allocated to participants if demand is high.   

Eligibility criteria

To be eligible to receive Snow Go Assist Program funding, participants must provide proof that they meet all of the program objectives: Applicants must meet both of the following criteria:

  1. Either senior or a person with a disability.  A senior  is considered any person over the age of 60 years.  For persons with a disability, participants must be physically unable to clear snow from their private driveway and/or walkway due to their own disability
  2. Must demonstrate they qualify as low income.  Low income is defined as an annual income of below $31,500 for a single individual and below $39,200 for a household (two or more persons).

    Participants must provide proof of active enrolment in one or more of the following programs to prove that they meet the program objectives:
  1. GIS (Guaranteed Income Supplement)
  2. ODSP (Ontario Disability Support Program)  
  3. Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefit  
  4. Ontario Works plus proof of disability and/or senior (60 year or older)  
  5. Essential Health and Social Supports plus proof of disability and/or senior (60 year or older)  
  6. Home Help plus proof of disability and/or senior (60 year or older)  
  7. Low income senior or person with a disability (proof may be required)  
  8. Special Circumstances may be considered. Detailed proof must be provided.

For more information, please discuss with your local community support agency.

All applicants must sign a disclaimer that states that there is no person(s) physically able to perform snow removal work sharing the residence with the applicant.

Application process

To apply for Snow Go Assist funding, contact your local community support agency listed above.

Financial support – Ottawa Hand in Hand

If you are already a participant in a community or social service agency program, if you are an individual or family with a low-income or a family member with a disability, you may qualify for the Ottawa Hand in Hand recreation and culture fee support program.

Only residents of the City of Ottawa may apply for the Ottawa Hand in Hand subsidy, on their own behalf or for a dependent wishing to participate in programs or activities offered by the Recreation, Cultural and Facility Services Department (RCFS). For additional information on Ottawa Hand in Hand, the City of Ottawa’s fee assistance program, residents are invited to visit their local recreation or culture facility or any City Client Service Centre.

Please note: applicants will be asked to provide proof of identity, residency and of financial need and should be prepared to provide copies of formal documentation.

Applicants must meet one of the following eligibility requirements:

  • Evidence of being in receipt of Ontario Works
  • Evidence of being in receipt of a Child Care Subsidy
  • Evidence of being in receipt of Essential Health and Social Supports
  • Evidence of being in receipt of Ontario Disability Support Pension (ODSP)
  • Evidence of being in receipt of Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD/MCSS)
  • Evidence of being in receipt of a Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS)
  • Means test using the Low Income Cut-Off
    • T451E Notice of Assessment or,
    • Child Tax Benefit Form
  • Special circumstances may also be considered (details to be provided in the application form).
  • Residents of all ages are eligible.
  • Residents are encouraged to apply as early as possible before the program registration period.
  • Each qualifying individual, or member of a family, is eligible for an annual amount of fee support ($200 per person).
  • Applicants are encouraged to pay a minimum of 25 per cent of the program cost.
  • A parent or guardian can transfer all, or a portion of their Ottawa Hand in Hand fee support entitlement to a child or children in their household.

How to apply

  1. Complete the online application form, or pick one up at most staffed recreation facilities or at a Client Service Centre.
  2. Bring the completed application form to your local recreation or cultural facility.

A supervisor will review the application for approval. Applications can only be approved at a recreation or cultural facility.

Ottawa Public Library's Homebound Services

What is Homebound Services?

A free service offering monthly delivery of Ottawa Public Library (OPL) materials directly to your door.

Who is eligible?

Ottawa residents who are unable to visit the Library regularly due to age, illness or disability. A minimum commitment of three months is required to sign up for the service.

Where does the Library deliver?

Individual homes, retirement residences, and long-term care facilities within the City of Ottawa.

What can be borrowed?

  • Books
  • Large print books
  • Audiobooks
  • Music CDs
  • DVDs
  • Magazines
  • eBooks, eAudiobooks, and more
  • DAISY audiobooks for customers with print disabilities

Customers can request their own material, or staff can select materials based on each customer’s interests.

For more information or to register, please contact Homebound Services at 613-580-2944, or email

For more information on the Ottawa Public Library's Accessible Services, please visit

Inclusive Recreation

accessible services and programs, services and support, Ottawa hand in hand…

Learn More

Finding healthcare

Find out how to stay healthy, where to get help and how to make informed decisions about your health. Ottawa Public Health is your link to Ottawa’s health and support services.

Emergency resources

Service Contact Information
Distress Centre of Ottawa and Region 613-238-3311
Mental Health Crisis Line (24 hours a day) 613-722-6914 or 1-866-996-0991
Ligne Fem-Aide (french only) 1-877-336-2433
Ottawa Dental Society Dental Emergency Service 613-523-4185
Ottawa Public Health 613-580-6744
TTY: 613-580-9656
Ontario Poison Centre 1-800-268-9017
Telehealth Ontario 1-866-797-0000
TTY: 1-866-797-0007

Finding a family doctor

Service Contact Information
Doctor Search
College of Physicians & Surgeons of Ontario
Find A Dentist – Ontario Dental Association 416-922-3900
Find a Registered Dietician 1-877-510-5102
Health Care Connect
Help Ontarians find a family health care provider. .
1 800 445-1822

Area hospitals

Most healthcare needs are covered by the province’s medical coverage, once you are a resident of Ontario. If required, private healthcare plans are available to cover specialized treatments that do not fall under the province’s scope of coverage. Ottawa has 4 main hospitals:

Hospital Contact Information
The Ottawa Hospital 613-722-7000
TTY: 613-761-4024
General Campus
Civic Campus
Riverside Campus
501 Smyth Road
1053 Carling Avenue
1967 Riverside Drive
Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) 401 Smyth Road
Queensway-Carleton Hospital 3045 Baseline Road
Montfort Hospital 713 Montreal Road
In addition, there are a number of specialized hospitals and clinics in the region.
Health Care Options Medical Services Directory
walk-in and after hours clinics, urgent care centres, and family health care providers
Ottawa Regional Cancer Centre 501 Smyth Road
Royal Ottawa Hospital
Specialty mental care in Eastern Ontario
1145 Carling Avenue
Bruyère Continuing Care
Élisabeth Bruyère Hospital
43 Bruyère Street
Bruyère Continuing Care
Résidence Saint-Louis
879 Hiawatha Park Road.
Bruyère Continuing Care
Saint-Vincent Hospital
60 Cambridge Street North
The Rehabilitation Centre 505 Smyth Road
613-737-7350 TTY: 613-526-1132
University of Ottawa Heart Institute 40 Ruskin Street

Drop in medical clinics

Service Contact Information
Appletree Medical Group  
Orleans Urgent Care Clinic (OUCC) 
1220 Place d’Orléans Boulevard
Walk-in clinics in Ottawa – Health care options directory  

Community health and resources centres

Service Contact Information
Coalition of Community Health and
Resource Centres of Ottawa
Community Care Access Centre Locations in Ottawa and throughout Ontario  
Ottawa Community Care Access Centre 100-4200 Labelle Street
613-745-5525 or 1-800-538-0520
Carlington Community & Health Services 900 Merivale Road
Centretown Community Health Centre 420 Cooper Street
Eastern Ottawa Resource Centre 2339 Ogilvie Road
Hunt Club/Riverside Community Services Centre 3310 McCarthy Road
Lowertown Community Resource Centre 40 Cobourg Street
Nepean, Rideau and Osgoode Community Resource Centre 1642 Merivale Road, Unit 541
Orléans-Cumberland Community Resource Centre 210 Centrum Boulevard, Suite 211
Overbrook-Forbes Community Resource Centre 225 Donald Street, Unit 120
Community Health Centre
1365 Richmond Road, 2nd Floor
Sandy Hill Community Health Centre 221 Nelson Street
Somerset West Community Health Centre 55 Eccles Street
South-East Ottawa Community Health Centre 1355 Bank Street, Suite 600
TTY: 613-739-8197
Vanier Community Service Centre 290 Dupuis Street
Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre 2 MacNeil Court

Provincial resources

Service Contact Information
Eastern Ontario Health Unit 613-933-1375 or 1-800-267-7120
French Language Health Services Network
of Eastern Ontario
1173 Cyrville Road
Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care  

Local resources

Service Contact Information
Local mental health help and events eMentalHealth
Ottawa Police Service  
Ottawa Safety Council  
Ottawa Salus Corporation
Community Mental Health Services
200-945 Wellington Street
TTY: 613-759-8455  
The Children’s Aid Society of Ottawa 613-747-7800
Travel Medicine Program (TMP)  
Youth Services Bureau  

Financial resources

Service Contact Information
Dental help for older adults Call 3-1-1, press 4 for Social Services to apply
Help with health-related items and services Call 3-1-1, press 4 for Social Services to apply
Community resources  
Ontario Disability Support Program 613-787-3951