The City of Ottawa will host a Information Session on the Combined Sewage Storage Tunnel (CSST), one of the most important projects of the Ottawa River Action Plan aimed at improving the health of the river.
Tuesday, December 4, 2018
Routhier Community Centre (Gymnasium)
172 Guigues Ave, Ottawa, ON
5pm – 7:30pm (drop-in format)
CONSTRUCTION IN YOUR NEIGHBOURHOOD (Lowertown)
What: The North-South Tunnel is complete, and work on the East-West Tunnel is now underway.
- Construction of a 4-kilometre-long, 3-metre-diameter pipe, between 10 and 31 metres below surface level. (There are no related surface works in Lowertown.)
- A tunnel boring machine (TBM) is being used: Its rotating face chips away rock as the machine moves forward, and precast concrete liners are grouted in place behind the machine to permanently seal the pipe.
- People in Lowertown along the tunnel alignment are expected to hear and feel tunneling noise and vibration during the three-four days/nights that the TBM approaches and passes. This will be most noticeable in buildings’ basements. We apologize for this temporary disruption.
- The contractor is required to monitor vibration along the entire alignment and adhere to strict thresholds.
- Tunneling west from King Edward Avenue to Cumberland Street is anticipated to occur in December 2018, followed by tunneling south under Cumberland from approximately Cathcart to Wilbrod (January-February 2019) and onward west toward LeBreton Flats.
- Tunneling will continue 24 hours a day.
- East-west tunneling is expected to be complete in the fall of 2019.
Lowertown - Information Session Display Boards
What to expect:
At the Public Information Session, you will be provided with information on the CSST project, the tunneling method, and what to expect during east-west tunneling. Project team members will be available to answer your questions.
Coming soon: Open House Display Boards
For further information about the CSST project and this public information session, please:
- Visit the CSST website at ottawa.ca/CSST
- Email the CSST team at CSST@ottawa.ca (link sends e-mail)
- Call the CSST team at (613) 580-2424 ext. 2CSST (22778)
- Sign up for the CSST e-newsletter at Ottawa.ca/esubscriptions