Location of upgrade works
- The upgrade works will occur within the entire length of the Monahan Stormwater Facility, extending from Hope Side Road to Bridgestone Drive.
Reason for the upgrades/remedial work
- The Monahan Stormwater facility was originally designed and constructed in 1993, and is no longer achieving its regulatory water quality effluent targets.
- The reconstruction efforts will bring the facility into regulatory compliance, and the facility reconstruction has been designed to the City's current standards.
- A hybrid stormwater pond will be created – it will provide a combination of wetland features with open water features. Shallow wetland areas and deeper pools will be added, introducing a more diverse aquatic habitat of both fish and plant species.
- In addition to the stormwater facility upgrades, an additional culvert is being constructed immediately downstream of the stormwater facility at Hope Side Road to improve the overall water flow.
- The facility will be reconstructed to satisfy the most current City and Ministry of Environment design standards, which will result in improved water quality leaving the facility and flowing to the Jock River.
- The works will remove sediment and increase the storage volume of water in the ponds, providing a greater level of service to the existing community during major storm events (results in reduced flooding risk).
- The design will incorporate significant landscaping features such as grasses, shrubs, trees and aquatic plantings, and extension of the existing pathway network with new paths created along west side of facility.
- Work scheduled in 2015 will include: earth moving, in-water dredging, installation of pipes, installation of a new culvert at Hope Side Road and rough grading.
- Work scheduled in 2016 will include all landscaping consisting of in-water plantings, trees, shrubs, fences and pathway improvements.
- To ensure public safety, pathway closures will be in effect throughout the period of active construction; work is expected to be completed in spring 2017.
- Pathways on the west side of the facility will be closed mid-May 2015. Pathways on the east side of the facility will be closed July 2015.