Park improvement project
Riverain Park is beautifully situated along North River Road and is adjacent to the Rideau River.
The City of Ottawa is modernizing Riverain Park through the renewal of existing amenities and features, as well as adding new and exciting recreational uses
Construction on Phase 1 of the Riverain Park Improvement project began in October with the final approval having been received from the National Capital Commission (NCC) to proceed. Riverain Park is federally owned land that the (NCC) leases to the City of Ottawa.
The work that has commenced is considered the projects Phase 1.
Phase 2 of the project will be based on feedback the City receives from consultations concerning the fieldhouse building near the tennis courts which will be renovated to accommodate for use in the winter, the addition of an outdoor rink, a canoe/kayak launch, a new skateboard park and a public art component
Project update (February 2022)
Phase 2 of the Riverain Park Improvement Project is now underway. The project includes the replacement of the existing fieldhouse, implementation of a seasonal boarded rink, a new skateboard park, kayak/canoe launch area as well as a public art installation.
The Contractor is expected to mobilize on site the week of January 24 and will begin with the demolition of the existing fieldhouse. Please note that dues to safety reasons, the pathway leading from North River Road closest to the field house will be closed during this phase of the construction.
Additional updates will be provided as they become available.
- Site works will be paused between December 18 and mid-March with an expected completion date for summer 2021.
- Demolition, excavation and granular placement for paved areas is rapidly progressing.
- Please note the park lighting had to be deenergized to allow the contractor to safely proceed with demolition of the existing tennis courts.
- Play & Fitness equipment has been ordered
- Next steps will include the layout and fit up for the water and electrical services.
- More information regarding Phase 2 will be shared in the spring! Stay Tuned!
Riverain Parking Lot and Pathway Renewal
In 2019, Riverain Park at 400 North River Road completed improvements including resurfacing the parking lot and accessibility improvements by providing a new multi-use pathway linking McArthur Avenue to Riverain Park.
The project included:
- Removal of existing asphalt
- Removal of existing bollards
- Adjusting catchbasin to allow for proper drainage
- Providing new asphalt surface
- Localized curb repair
- Multi-use pathway along the south side of the parking lot
Public consultation began in July of 2019, with residents supporting the call to update the park.
The following concept plan depict the options presented for feedback as part of the phase 1 consultation In Riverain Park located at 400 North River Road in Rideau-Vanier Ward 12.
The community selected Option 1 for the splash pad, option 1 for the fitness circuit, options 8, 6 and 1 for the play equipment components and option 1 for the site furniture.
Additional public consultation was held in March 2020, for residents to review the first round of draft designs.
The City considered feedback from residents, and amended the designs to further include:
- a new splash pad
- adult fitness equipment
- off-leash dog area, a new basketball court
- a new horseshoe pitch
- resurfacing of the tennis courts with the addition of pickleball, new pathway & lighting improvements.
The park will also be fully accessible for all visitors.