Welcome to the public information session for the Stittsville Diversion Trunk Sewer Project.
The purpose of this public information session is to present the project background, construction methods, and to inform residents of the upcoming construction activities and schedule.
Please feel free to circulate, review the information presented, discuss issues with the City and the design team and to provide your comments.
Hazeldean pump station currently receives flow from the Stittsville, Bridlewood, Kanata South Business Park, Glen Cairn, and Katimavik/ Hazeldean communities. It is one of the City’s largest sanitary pumping facilities.
Significant expansion of Hazeldean pump station is required to meet projected 2030 sewer flows.
Kanata west pump station (recently completed at 1590 Maple Grove Road) was constructed to relieve the pressure on Hazeldean pump station.
Stittsville diversion trunk sewer provides a gravity flow link between the two facilities. It allows Kanata west pump station to accept flows from roughly half of Hazeldean pump station’s current sewer catchment and defer costly expansions.
The diversion trunk sewer will follow the future alignment of Robert Grant Avenue between Abbott Street and Maple Grove Road.
Site plan [ PDF - 1.65 MB ]
Catchment areas [ PDF - 260 KB ]
Typical construction methods
Hazeldean Road crossing
- Trenchless jack and bore method to minimize traffic disruption and utility conflicts
- Traffic proceeds without interruption during work
- Sewer depths ranging from 4 to 10 metres
- Excavation supports required for worker safety
- Sheet piles along Maple Grove Road
Trenchless construction example
Open cut construction example
Typical construction methods - rock removal
Two areas of rock removal are expected. High strength bedrock has been identified requiring blasting, or line drilling and hoe ramming techniques.
No blasting will be permitted during school hours.
Pre-inspection will be offered for those buildings within 75 metres of the rock removal.
Notifications of rock removal activities will be provided to residents and businesses located within 150 metres.
Rock removal activities will be monitored and adjusted to ensure that noise levels and vibrations felt at nearby buildings are kept under established thresholds.
Sewer alignment rock removal areas [ PDF - 348 KB ]
- Route traffic through southwest corner of roundabout
- Intersection to remain open
- No anticipated traffic interruptions
- Construction vehicle access right-in / right-out only
- No truck traffic permitted on Huntmar Drive
- Truck traffic to and from site will be from Terry Fox Drive and Robert Grant Avenue
Traffic circle at Robert Grant Avenue and Abbott Street east [ PDF - 334 KB ]
Maple Grove Road
- Westbound temporary lane to be added
- Two lanes open during peak hours
- Flagging down to one lane during off-peak hours during certain construction activities
- Temporary lane duration subject to Contractor’s schedule: expect 6 months with asphalt in spring 2019
Maple Grove Road traffic control [ PDF - 447 KB ]
Impacts to residents
|Abide by City’s Noise Bylaw (No. 2017-255)
Maximum standard work periods: Monday to Saturday, 7 am to 10 pm; Sunday and holidays, 9 am to 10 pm
|Dust||Dust suppression using water trucks.|
Maple Grove Road – 2 lanes during peak hours; 1 lane occasionally during off-peak periods
Hazeldean Road – No traffic impacts anticipated
Abbott Street – No traffic impacts anticipated
|Sewer service||No impacts or service|
|Water service||No impacts or service interruptions|
Related project - future
Kanata west pump station and Stittsville diversion trunk sewer allows for the decommissioning of five smaller sanitary pump stations:
- Echowoods Avenue
- Johnwoods Street
- Joseph Circle
- Cedarow Court
- Fringewood Drive
Schedule and funding
Expected construction period: Autumn 2018 through summer 2020 (subject to approvals, funding, and final property acquisitions)
Project is being funded:
- 90% from charges levied against developers to pay for associated infrastructure
- 10% from existing City infrastructure renewal accounts
Sewer maintenance hole
Inquires may be directed to:
City Project Manager