Members Needed for the 2018-2022 Municipal Election Compliance Audit Committee
The City of Ottawa is currently seeking candidates for appointment to the City of Ottawa 2018-2022 Municipal Election Compliance Audit Committee. The Committee is a statutory body established in accordance with Section 88.37 of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 (the “MEA”).
The 2018-2022 Municipal Election Compliance Audit Committee will:
- Consider applications for compliance audit of the campaign finances of a candidate for municipal council or a registered third-party advertiser resulting from the regular municipal election or any by-election held during the term of office for the Council for which the Committee was appointed
- Appoint an auditor, if the Committee decides to grant a compliance audit
- Review the auditor’s report and if the report concludes that the candidate or registered third party advertiser appears to have contravened the MEA, decide whether legal proceedings should be commenced against the candidate or registered third party advertiser
- Receive and consider report(s) from the City Clerk and Solicitor identifying contributors who appear to have contravened any of the contribution limits set out in the MEA, and decide whether to commence a legal proceeding against a contributor for an apparent contravention
The Election Compliance Audit Committee’s term of office begins on December 1, 2018 and ends on November 15, 2022.
There are statutory deadlines attached to the Committee’s work, and there will be mandatory training on procedures provided to all Committee members.
The Election Compliance Audit Committee will be comprised of five members.
The City’s Appointment Policy requires that members be residents of Ottawa and at least 18 years of age. The following are not eligible to sit on the Election Compliance Audit Committee:
- Employees or officers of the City;
- Members of Council;
- Candidates of the municipal election for which the Committee is established; or
- Registered third party advertisers in the municipality in the election for which the Committee is established.
Individuals appointed to the Committee must not have audited or prepared financial statements, or have any other formal relationship with any candidate or registered third party advertiser for the 2018 municipal election.
Candidates who are interviewed will be asked to sign a declaration stating that they meet the eligibility requirements.
Applicants must have a thorough understanding of municipal campaign finance rules and accounting principles under the Municipal Elections Act, 1996.
Ideal candidates would have practical experience in administering elections, with a specific focus on municipal election finance. Ideal candidates may include former municipal clerks or elections office managers, auditors, accountants, lawyers or other individuals with knowledge of the campaign financing rules of the MEA.
Previous experience on committees or tribunals would be valuable. Bilingualism is also considered an asset as two of the Members must be bilingual.
The City is committed to ensuring that the composition of its Committees, Boards and Commissions reflects, as much as possible, its population’s diversity in terms of gender, official language, geographic representation, race and disability. Applicants may include on a voluntary basis information to strengthen their application in this regard.
Members will receive an annual retainer of $600. Additionally, Committee Members will receive a per diem of $175 per hour for meetings, to a maximum of $1250 per day.
How to Apply
Applications must be received by July 6, 2018, at 4:00 p.m.
A letter of interest, accompanied by a current resume, may be submitted by mail or email in confidence to the attention of:
M. Rick O’Connor, City Clerk and Solicitor
110 Laurier Ave West
Ottawa ON K1P 1J1
Applications must include the applicant’s residential address, contact information and language proficiencies.
For more information: contact Eric Pelot at 613-580-2424, ext. 22953, (TTY: 613-580-2401) or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2014 Financial Statements
Financial statements as filed by candidates for City Council and School Board Trustee are posted here.
2014-2018 Election Compliance Audit Committee: Hearings and Decisions
|Friday, April 17, 2015||Agenda||Minutes|
|Friday, July 10, 2015||Agenda||Minutes|
|Wednesday, July 15, 2015||Agenda||Minutes|
|Tuesday, July 28, 2015||Agenda||Minutes|
|Monday, December 14, 2015||Agenda||Minutes|
|Friday, February 12, 2016||Agenda||Disposition|
Email email@example.com / Phone (613) 580-2424 x 28617