This site uses JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript in your Browser and reload the page to view the full site.


Current COVID-19 restrictions

For information about outreach, isolation and physical distancing centres, shower and washroom facilities and shared laundry facilities, visit our COVID-19 housing section.

Services are available for the Rent Supplement program as follows:

  • In-person, by appointment only
  • Limited service from 9 am to 3 pm
  • Staff will continue to provide telephone and email service from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday
  • A document drop box is available at 100 Constellation Drive for clients of the Rent Supplement program

The City continues to support residents experiencing homelessness or at risk of becoming homeless through emergency shelters, support services and outreach. Funding for homelessness programs continues. Some agencies are closed, but staff are available by phone. Agencies that are open have reduced staffing, are social distancing and are following strict hygiene procedures.

The Social Housing Registry continues to provide telephone and email service for residents. No in person or counter services are available at this time, but a document drop box is available on site. People fleeing domestic violence can continue to apply for priority housing.

Housing providers are checking in with vulnerable tenants over the phone.

Our 10 Year Housing & Homelessness Plan

Our 10 Year Housing and Homelessness Plan (“the Plan”) builds on our current responsive approaches to housing and homelessness with an enhanced focus on prevention and support through system integration.

Learn More

Residential Services Homes (Domiciliary Hostels)

Addressing homelessness

People experiencing homelessness in Ottawa.

Learn More

Temporary Emergency Accommodations Dashboard

The Temporary Emergency Accommodations Dashboard provides information about people experiencing homelessness in Ottawa.

Learn More

Tenant rights

Property standards

Tenants who live in housing in need of repair should first work with their landlord or property management company. Comments to the landlord or property manager should be put in writing and the tenant should keep a copy.

After a reasonable amount of time, if the repairs have not been carried out, tenants should contact Property Standards at the City of Ottawa. The City inspects buildings and properties when there is a complaint concerning the interior or exterior condition and the safety of residents.

Property standards inspections ensure and enforce compliance with City by-laws regulating property maintenance and occupancy standards. Property Standards may be contacted by calling 3-1-1 (TTY: 613-580-2401).

Tenant supports

If you live in Ottawa and are searching for rental housing, have a conflict with your landlord or are at risk of eviction, there are several organizations that can provide support and guidance.

  • Housing Help
    • A one-stop, drop-in service for all Ottawa residents who have housing problems or questions
    • 309 Cooper Street, Suite 502
      Ottawa, ON, K2P 0G5
      Tel: 613-563-4532
      Fax: 613-563-8019
  • Action-Logement
    • A charitable organization devoted to assisting low-income individuals and families to find and maintain safe, affordable and adequate rental housing
    • 261 Montreal Road
      Ottawa, ON, K1L 8C7
      Tel: 613-562-8219
      Fax: 613-241-1526
  • Community Legal Services of Ottawa
    • Provides free legal help to people of low income
    • Community Legal Services of Ottawa – Downtown
      1 Nicholas Street, Suite 422
      Ottawa, ON, K1N 7B7
      Tel: 613-241-7008
      Fax: 613-241-8680
    • Community Legal Services of Ottawa - South
      1355 Bank Street Suite 406
      Ottawa, ON K1H 8K7
      Tel. 613-733-0140
      Fax 613-733-0401
    • Community Legal Services of Ottawa - West
      1299 Richmond Road
      Ottawa, ON K2B 7Y4
      Tel. 613-596-1641
      Fax 613-596-3364
  • Clinique Juridique Francophone de l'Est d'Ottawa
    • Offers legal assistance to francophone tenants
    • Vanier Community Service Centre
      290 Dupuis Street
      Ottawa, ON, K1L 1A2
      Tel: 613-744-2892

Landlord and Tenant Board

The Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 (RTA) sets the rules for most residential rental housing in Ontario. The Landlord and Tenant Board provides information about the RTA and resolves disputes between residential landlords and tenants. The former Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal is now known as the Landlord and Tenant Board.

For more information about the rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords, please visit the Landlord and Tenant Board website.

Discrimination and human rights

  • Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation
    • ​CERA is a not-for-profit charitable organization dedicated to preventing evictions and ending housing discrimination across Ontario
    • Please note that CERA is not a legal clinic and are not able to meet with clients in person. Please contact CERA by phone or email to discuss your situation.
    • 215 Spadina Avenue, Unit 164
      Toronto, ON, M5T 2C7
      Tel: 416-944-0087
      Toll-Free: 1-800-263-1139, ext. 1