This site uses JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript in your Browser and reload the page to view the full site.

Resources for City staff

Updates from the Mayor

Updates from Ottawa's Mayor, Jim Watson.

Learn More

Updates to staff from the City Manager

Updates from the City Manager, Steve Kanellakos.

Learn More

City of Ottawa COVID-19 Self-Assessment

Employees must complete the City of Ottawa COVID-19 self-assessment prior to starting their shift

Recommended - The digital tool is web-based and accessible through the mobile time and pay portal on Ozone and through the COVID-19 Employee Information SharePoint site, to all employees on City issued devices, bring your own devices, and personal devices. To access this web-based tool on a personal device, an employee will first have to enroll in multi-factor authentication.

Posters displaying a QR code and web address have been installed at entrances to City workplaces allowing employees to conveniently access to the digital tool using their smartphones.

Paper based - City of Ottawa COVID-19 Self-Assessment [PDF 151 KB] - revised March 10, 2022


Where do I go for the latest information about the current situation in Ottawa?

Ottawa Public Health features the most current updates about the evolving situation in Ottawa. Please check the website regularly for changing information and tips for staying healthy.

Where do I go for the latest information about the current situation in Quebec?

The Government of Quebec regularly publishes information about COVID-19. Please check the website on a consistent basis for changing information and tips for staying healthy.

If residents in my community are interested in opportunities with Ottawa Public Health, what should they do?

Residents can send their resume and cover letter to Ottawa Public Health Staffing.

What are the symptoms of COVID-19?

For a comprehensive list of symptoms of COVID-19, information on how to prevent the spread of COVID-19, vaccine information and resources for parents, please visit Ottawa Public Health.

City Self-Assessment on

Employees and contractors are required to follow all department specific self-screening processes at the commencement of their shift. In the absence of a department specific process, employees are encouraged to use the digital assessment. This tool is not currently available to contractors who must complete the City of Ottawa COVID-19 self-assessment prior to starting their shift.

If the results of either the departmental or City self-assessment indicate that the employee or contractor has symptoms of COVID-19, they must stay home, inform their manager, supervisor or City of Ottawa contact. City employees should be tested at a COVID-19 assessment centre and should be placed on isolation leave while they await their test results.

If an employee or contractor develops mild respiratory symptoms during their shift, they must go home immediately and notify their manager, supervisor or City contact.

What do I do if I think I have COVID-19 symptoms or have been in contact with someone who has COVID-19?

If you think you have coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms or have been in close contact with someone who has it, use the City of Ottawa COVID-19 self-assessment tool to help determine how to seek further care.

Mandatory Mask Public Health Directive

Ottawa Public Health’s directive for the mandatory use of masks in indoor public spaces is now a municipal law. The Temporary Mandatory Mask By-law has been extended to August 26, 2021 , and applies to any person entering or staying in an enclosed public space, including City Staff. As a reminder, all City employees must also wear a mask in City vehicles, when more than one occupant is in the vehicle. These public health measures have been put in place to prevent and stop the spread of COVID-19.

What if I cannot wear a mask for medical reasons?

If you are unable to wear a mask and cannot maintain appropriate physical distancing in your workspace you should speak to your manager/supervisor to explore opportunities for an accommodation.

Download the Government of Canada COVID-19 App

To further support the COVID-19 response, the COVID Alert mobile app will be pushed out to all City mobile devices. Users will still be required to manually accept the terms and conditions of the app for it to properly function.

Employees are encouraged to download the federal App on their personal phones to help keep themselves and our community safe. The COVID Alert App provide notifications where an individual was within 2M for more than 15 minutes of someone who has indicated a positive test result through the app in the past 14 days. The App supplements the manual contact tracing activities of OPH.

Employees who receive a notification that they have been exposed should advise their supervisor as outlined in the Corporate Self-Assessment Guide and self isolate as required.

How is Canada Life supporting me and my family’s benefits during COVID 19?

The best way to stay informed as a plan member is to sign up for Canada Life’s GroupNet for Plan Members.

I rely on public transportation to get to work and I know that ridership is low. What changes can I expect as it pertains to O-Train, bus, and Para Transpo service?

Service level adjustments began to take place in March. Please note the details for different modes:

Conventional bus

  • Service will continue to be provided in all neighbourhoods
  • Weekday service will move to Saturday service levels on many routes
  • Many routes which normally operate only on weekdays will continue to run, but at modified service levels
  • Rural weekly Shopper services will continue as usual
  • The first trip in the morning will be later than usual on many routes
  • Saturday and Sunday service will operate as usual
  • Complete schedules and details of impacts to specific routes will be available on

O-Train Line 1 the Confederation Line

  • On Fridays, service will run until 1 am on Saturday morning (overnight bus service will be available)
  • Otherwise, service start, and end times will remain the same
  • Trains will arrive every 6 to 8 minutes at peak periods and every 10 to 16 minutes at other times of the day and on weekends
  • The number of dedicated R1 buses is being reduced to align with changed service levels on Line 1
  • Staffing levels of the red vested O-Train Ambassadors have been scaled back

O-Train Line 2 - The Trillium Line

  • Trains will arrive every 15 minutes at all times during the service period
  • Service start and end times will remain the same; and
  • As we have done on our buses and Line 1 trains to protect the health of our operators and customers, we will be installing tape on Line 2 trains to block the area closest to the operator cab from the rest of the train

Para Transpo

  • Para Transpo volumes are currently low and are being managed
  • All trip requests are being accommodated

How is the City supporting local businesses during these challenging times?

On March 23, the City and community partners launched the first phase of the Buy Local Campaign, a promotional campaign to help local businesses during these challenging times. Please take a moment to check out the Buy Local Campaign, where you’ll find links to sites listing businesses serving customers virtually or providing takeout and meal delivery.

I am feeling very anxious about the current situation. Is there anyone I can talk to?

The Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) is available to provide support to you and your eligible family members by phone, online and video counselling. Contact the provider at 1-844-880-9142 (TTY: 1-877-338-0275), through the My EAP app (available for Apple, Android and BlackBerry) or through Work Health Life. Here are additional services that are available to you:

Certificate of Employment for employees residing in Quebec

The provincial government of Quebec has announced further restrictions to combat the spread of COVID-19, including a province-wide curfew from 8 pm to 5 am daily starting Saturday, January 9 at 12:01 am.

To continue providing essential services to residents and the community, staff who live in Quebec may be required to travel to and from work at City facilities during these restricted hours. In these instances, staff will need a completed Certificate of Employment signed by their manager or supervisor as proof that they are employed with the City of Ottawa.

Please work with your manager supervisor to complete the form. Be sure to carry the completed certificate when travelling between provinces, along with proper government-issued identification and your City of Ottawa ID.

The Certificate of Employment is only to be used when travelling to and from work for City of Ottawa business.

If you have any questions, please contact your manager or supervisor.