Please be advised: Due to the Covid-19 pandemic restrictions, Camp FFIT 2020 has been cancelled. For more information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Training Centre at 613-580-2424 x 29621.
The City of Ottawa, in partnership with Fire Service Women Ontario (A Not-for-Profit organization for women and men in the Fire Service), presents a unique opportunity for young women to experience what it is like to be a firefighter.
Camp FFIT is designed to educate young women about a firefighting career. All participants will have an opportunity to speak to women and men about the Career and Volunteer Ottawa Fire Services, as well as firefighters from neighbouring communities and students who have recently graduated from a Pre-Service Firefighter Education and Training Program.
Participants will also have an opportunity to perform many tasks, including, but not limited to:
- Basic firefighting
- Team building
- Wearing full PPE (Personal Protective Equipment)
- Use of SCBA – Self Contained Breathing Apparatus
- Basics of Pump/Ladder operations
- Fitness and nutrition information
- Aerial ladder climb
- Auto extrication
- Basics of technical rescue
- Search and rescue
- Forcible entry
- Catching hydrants
- High-rise operations
- Fighting simulated kitchen and car fires.
All CAMP FFIT Activities and Evolutions will be led by qualified members of Ottawa Fire Services. Francophone staff will be present for the teaching/classroom component of the training. However, for the skill development exercises (i.e. extinguishing a live car fire, extrication, etc.) the instruction will be in English, which is the standard operational language for first responders to ensure the safety of all participants.
To qualify you must:
- Be 15 to19 years of age
- Be in good physical condition
- Have a positive attitude
- Complete an application form
- Agree to follow all rules and regulations
- Participate in all activities and classes
- Must possess a valid OHIP or Provincial Health Insurance Card.
To apply you must:
- Complete a Camp FFIT 2020 Application form
The cost of CAMP FFIT is $150 and all participants will require steel toe boots to take part in fire ground activities.
Learn more about this exciting opportunity from past participants: My Experience at Camp FFIT 2015. For additional information concerning Camp FFIT, please send an email to email@example.com or contact the Training Centre at 613-580-2424 x 29621.