The 2021 Summer Student Employment Program is now closed except for applications for critical positions supporting essential services in Recreation Culture and Facility Services, which will be accepted throughout the summer to meet program requirements.
Select one of the following options to access the job postings:
Before you submit your application, you may choose to review the summer student hiring process and the eligibility criteria and important facts and information. Refer to the applying for jobs for assistance on how to apply.
To be eligible for the Summer Student Employment Program, you must satisfy the following criteria:
- be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- be 16 years of age or older by the first day of summer employment (For employment with the Ottawa Public Library and certain RCFS positions you must be 15 years of age or older);
- be enrolled in a secondary or post-secondary program or institution of higher learning on a full-time basis, returning to school or graduating that same year; and
- if a part-time student in university or college, your transcript must indicate that the course of study is leading you to a degree or diploma.
Summer Student Hiring Process
Step 1: Application phase. All applicants are given the opportunity to apply online starting February 1. Pre-screening questions must be completed online.
Step 2: Assessment phase. This will take place during the month of March. All applications will be reviewed, and the interview process may begin. If selected for an interview, you may be contacted by email and/or telephone as per the information provided on your application.
Step 3: Decision Making and Selection phase. This will take place throughout the month of April. Successful applicant’s credentials and job specific qualifications will be reviewed, and copies collected. If successful, a verbal job offer will be issued.
Step 4: Hiring and Documentation phase. This will take place either in April or beginning of May. Successful applicants will be instructed to accept their offer online and to complete mandatory hiring documentation. Hire dates for Summer Students may begin as early as May 1.
Note: When completing your documentation, be prepared to have the following information available:
- Social Insurance Number
- Banking Information (Void cheque or a bank validated deposit form). The bank account must be in your name.
Important Facts and Information
The City of Ottawa does not accept unsolicited, late or incomplete online applications. Consideration for employment will only be given for jobs in which an application has been submitted.
Vulnerable Sector Check or Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check:
Applicants are advised that a Vulnerable Sector Check or Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check may be required prior to being hired into a summer student job. If it is required for a summer student job, this information will be included on the job posting.
For information on how to apply for a Vulnerable Sector Check or Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check, please visit the Ottawa Police Service (link is external) website.
Police record checks completed by a third-party company will not be accepted.
Documents required prior to being hired:
• Proof of student status (such as a transcript)
• Proof of age
• Proof of Certifications and/or Credentials (if required for the job, refer to the job posting)
• Successfully completed Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (CRJM) or a Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) (if required for the job, refer to the job posting).
The City of Ottawa would like to extend a thank you to all those who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
For all inquiries, please contact the HR Service Centre (link sends e-mail) at 613-580-2424, extension 47411.