In the month of March the project team completed the conceptual road design of Montreal Road (from North River Road to St. Laurent Boulevard) and North River Road (from Montreal Road to the north cul-de-sac). The design was reviewed internally with the City’s Technical Advisory Committee and with community representatives during the first project working group meeting. The conceptual design will also be presented at the upcoming project public information session scheduled for April 25.
On March 19, the first Montreal Road working group meeting was held with block captains representing both community residents and businesses along Montreal Road. The purpose of the meeting was to present the conceptual road design for Montreal Road to the working group and obtain their comments on the proposed improvements. Exhibit 1 – Montreal Road project block captains provides the contact information for individuals who have volunteered to represent specific zones along Montreal Road.
Exhibit 1 [ PDF - 84.3 KB ]
The primary task of the block captains is to obtain feedback from the community as well as convey discussions and issues presented at the working group meetings to other community residents and businesses. We encourage residents and businesses to reach out to the designated block captains within their zones and provide comments on issues directly related to the Montreal Road project.
As part of the project’s public consultation process, the City will be holding the first (out of three) public information sessions:
Tuesday April 24, 2018 from 6:30 to 8:30 pm
Centre Pauline-Charron, 164 Jeanne-Mance Street, Vanier
The focus of the information session will be to:
- Recap recommendations from the Montreal Road functional planning study completed in the summer of 2017. The planning study work has been finalized and forms the foundation of the Montreal Road design.
- Present the proposed conceptual Montreal Road design that was discussed at the March 19 Montreal Road working group. City staff and the project consultants will be on hand to discuss the current project status, the conceptual design and respond to questions. Additionally, community members will have an opportunity to flag constraints, suggest areas for improvement and bring up specific issues along the corridor that they would like reviewed by the project team.
Next project design steps
- Finalize conceptual geometry for Montreal Road and North River Road.
- Begin geotechnical and environmental investigation, which involves the installation of markers and drilling of approximately 35 boreholes within the Montreal Road and North River Road right-of-way. Information gathered from the geotechnical boreholes will determine soil types, soil conditions and ground water levels, which will be used to support the design of the road and underground infrastructure.
- Begin the preliminary design for Montreal Road and North River Road, which includes underground infrastructures (watermain, sanitary sewers, storm sewers and utilities). Examination of design elements related to streetscaping, public spaces, accessibility and bus stops/shelters will beginning in the May/June 2018 timeframe.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email the project team.
Accessible formats and communication supports are available.