Project Limits and Scope
The City of Ottawa is currently undertaking the design for improvements to the Morrena Road drainage. The design will include the following elements:
Phase 1: Stormwater Management Pond
The following work is anticipated to be completed in the spring/summer of 2016:
- Excavation / Installation of a stormwater management pond adjacent to the Hazeldean Library
- Installation of required underground storm sewer infrastructure to direct flows to the stormwater management pond.
- Installation of enhanced landscaping around the stormwater management pond within the City’s planting window.
- Utility modifications required for installation of the stormwater management dry pond.
Phase 2: Morrena Road
The following work is anticipated to be completed in the summer of 2016:
- Installation of a stormwater major drainage network along Morrena Road to direct flows from the Morrena Road low point to an existing underground pipe draining into the stormwater management pond.
- Installation of new curb and roadway structure to improve surface drainage.
- Reinstatement on adjacent private properties as required.
Project Key Plan
On July 24, 2009, the City of Ottawa experienced an intense rain storm event with an estimated return period of over 100 years. The severity of the storm caused significant basement flooding over a broad area in the west end of the City, including the Glen Cairn Community, which over the years has been prone to flooding. Both sanitary and storm systems in Glen Cairn were overloaded and backed up into residential basements within the community. In response, the City of Ottawa initiated the Glen Cairn Flood Investigation Environmental Assessment (EA) in order to develop an action plan to reduce the risk of future overland/basement flooding in the Glen Cairn community. The Morrena Road Major Drainage Improvement project is one part of the West End Flood Mitigation measures being conducted in the area.
Completion of design: Winter 2015
Phase 1 – Stormwater management pond construction: Spring/Summer 2016
Phase 2 – Morrena Road improvements: Summer 2016
Morrena Road Major Drainage Improvements – Design and Construction: $983,000
For further information or to provide comments, please contact the City Project Manager at the coordinates below.
Tara Blasioli, P.Eng.
Senior Project Manager, Design & Construction – Branch 2
City of Ottawa
Planning, Infrastructure and Economic Development Department
100 Constellation Drive
Ottawa, ON K2G 6J8
(613) 580-2424 Ext. 23970