Are you on the voters’ list? Check that your name and information are on the list to avoid delays at the voting place when you make your mark in this fall’s municipal elections.
The voters’ list identifies people who are eligible to vote in the 2018 Municipal Elections by name, address, school support and residency status.
You can vote in Ottawa’s 2018 Municipal Elections if, on Voting Day (October 22, 2018), you are:
- a resident of the City of Ottawa, or an owner or tenant of land in the city, or the spouse of such an owner or tenant;
- a Canadian citizen;
- at least 18 years old; and
- not prohibited from voting by law.
Public Access to the Voters’ List
Starting September 1 until October 22, 2018, you can conveniently verify your information by:
- using the “Am I on the Voters’ List?” tool on ottawa.ca/vote;
- calling 3-1-1; or
- calling the Elections Office at 613-580-2660.
Adding your Name or Amending your Information on the Voters’ List
Electors have several options to add or amend their information on the voters’ list during the revision period, which begins on September 1 and ends on September 15, 2018. An elector can:
- Visit ottawa.ca/vote and use the online tool “Am I on the Voters’ List?” from September 1, 2018 to September 15, 2018; or
- Complete an Application to Add or Amend My Information on the Voters’ List and mail or drop it off at the Elections Office or any Client Service Centre. An elector can also send the completed application to the Elections Office by email at email@example.com or by fax at 613-580-2661. This application must be submitted by September 14, 2018 at 4:30 pm.
After September 15, 2018, an elector can download and complete the Application to Add or Amend my Information on the Voters’ List form on ottawa.ca/vote and bring it with them to their voting place. This application will also be available at all voting places on voting days.
The deadline to make an application to add or amend your information on the voters’ list is October 22, 2018.
Removing a Name from the Voters’ List
If an elector wishes to remove their name from the voters’ list, or if a person’s name appears on the voters’ list and another elector has reason to believe that the person’s name should no longer be there (e.g. the person is deceased or has moved), the elector may take the following steps to have the name removed:
- Complete an Application to Remove a Name from the Voters’ List; and
- Mail or deliver it to the Elections Office along with the supporting information as to why the person’s name should be removed from the voters’ list.
Copies of this application can be picked up at the Elections Office, any Client Service Centre, or downloaded from ottawa.ca/vote.
The final day to remove someone’s name from the voters’ list is October 22, 2018.
Voting Day is Monday, October 22, 2018. Special Advance Voting will be held from October 4 to 7, 2018 and Advance Voting will take place on Friday, October 12, 2018. All voting places will be open from 10 am to 8 pm.