If you are an eligible elector in Ward 13 (Rideau-Rockcliffe), check that your name and information are on the Voters’ List to avoid delays when you vote in the 2019 Rideau-Rockcliffe By-election.
The Voters’ List identifies people who are eligible to vote by name, address and residency status. You can vote in the 2019 Rideau-Rockcliffe By-election if, on Voting Day (Monday, April 15, 2019), you are:
- a resident of the City of Ottawa, or an owner or tenant of land in the City, or the spouse of such an owner or tenant;
- a Canadian citizen;
- at least 18 years old; and
- not prohibited from voting by law.
If you live in a different City of Ottawa ward, you may not vote in the Ward 13 (Rideau-Rockcliffe) By-election, even if you are the owner or tenant of a separate property in Ward 13. If you are a non-resident elector who lives outside of Ottawa and who has a qualifying address in Ward 13, you may vote in this by-election. If you own or rent properties in more than one ward in the City of Ottawa, you must choose only one ward to vote in and be on the Voters’ List for that qualifying address. You do not qualify as a non-resident elector if you do not personally own or rent a property in the municipality.
Public Access to the Voters’ List
Starting Saturday, March 16, 2019 until Monday, April 15, 2019, electors can conveniently verify their information by:
- using the “Am I on the Voters’ List?” tool on ottawa.ca/vote;
- calling 3-1-1; or
- calling the Elections Office at 613-580-2660.
The Voters’ List will also be available for public viewing from Monday, March 18, 2019 until Monday, April 15, 2019 at the Elections Office or any Client Service Centre.
Adding your Name or Amending your Information on the Voters’ List
Electors have several options to add or amend their information on the Voters’ List during the
revision period, which begins on Saturday, March 16, 2019 and ends on Saturday, March 30, 2019. An elector can:
- Visit ottawa.ca/vote and use the “Am I on the Voters’ List?” tool from Saturday, March 16, 2019 until Saturday, March 30, 2019; or
- Complete an Application to Add or Amend My Information on the Voters’ List and mail or drop it off at the Elections Office or any Client Service Centre. An elector can also send the completed application to the Elections Office by email at email@example.com or by fax at 613-580-2661. This application must be submitted by Friday, March 29, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.
After the revision period, an elector can download and complete the Application to Add or
Amend my Information on the Voters’ List form on ottawa.ca/vote and bring it with them to their voting place. This application will also be available at all voting places on voting days.
The deadline to make an application to add or amend your information on the Voters’ List is
Monday, April 15, 2019.
Removing a Name from the Voters’ List
If an elector wishes to remove their name from the Voters’ List or if a person’s name appears
on the Voters’ List and another elector has reason to believe that the person’s name should no longer be there (e.g. the person is deceased or has moved), the elector may take the following steps to have the name removed:
- Complete an Application to Remove a Name from the Voters’ List; and
- Mail or deliver it to the Elections Office along with the supporting information as to why the person’s name should be removed from the Voters’ List.
Copies of this application can be picked up at the Elections Office, any Client Service Centre, or downloaded from ottawa.ca/vote.
The final day to remove a name from the Voters’ List is Monday, April 15, 2019.
Voter Notification Letters
Eligible electors in Ward 13 (Rideau-Rockcliffe) who appear on the Voters’ List will receive a Voter Notification letter in the mail in the coming weeks. Voter Notification letters provide information on where and when to vote in the upcoming municipal by-election. Eligible electors who add or amend their information during the revision period will receive a Revised Voter Notification letter at the end of March.
Eligible electors who are not on the Voters’ List are still entitled to vote. Starting Saturday, March 16, 2019, electors can find their voting place online by using the “Where Do I Vote?” search tool on ottawa.ca/vote, or by calling 3-1-1 or the Elections Office at 613-580-2660.
Voting day is Monday, April 15, 2019. Advance voting is on Friday, April 5, 2019. Voting places will be open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. For more information on the 2019 Rideau-Rockcliffe by-election, visit ottawa.ca/vote or call 613-580-2660. You can connect with the City of Ottawa Elections Office through Facebook and Twitter.